Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Pattern holes and flat size

Creator
Creator

This topic is about NX flat pattern and the need to include averything in it. But at the same time having the option to define different types of holes as separate layers. Also to get the center mark for holes in the flat pattern with some intelligence.

I attach a document with some information and hope to provoke many comments. To me it would make sense to be able to group different types of holes with a different layer. Also to have the option to include centermarks for that type if so chosen. I did not spend too much time with this document so all rights reserved to all typos.

-Nicolas

2 REPLIES

Re: Pattern holes and flat size

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

Hi Nicolas,

I quickly read your PDF and I understand your issues.

I also already had a problem trying to get a hole callout on a flat pattern view on a drafting (IR/ER 8266075 if you're interested). That also wasn't possible most probably because the flat pattern doesn't hold that intelligence.

The remark about holes that can not be plasma cut or lasercut because of being too small, and thus need a center mark instead of the circle itself, also is a concern to us. The only thing then will be; how can you explain to NX when to put a centermark and when to put a circle? This would mean NX needs a place that can hold Machine Data. And one company can have different type of machines. I can very well imagine that you have laser that can make 4mm holes in 8mm sheet, but the plasma machine might have a limit of dia 10mm in the same 8mm sheet.

And this is where NX Sheet Metal in general needs more intelligence.

The difficult part of Sheet Metal design in general is that the model needs to hold both CAD as Manufacturing data.

I believe NX Sheet Metal needs to be expanded to Manufacturing up to a point where the flat pattern become as intelligent as possible. Many of us users (but not all of us) are after the correct ready-for-production Flat Pattern in the end.

This means that NX can use more Production Method Related Tables. Ultimate goal would be to make a good synthese of all possible needs and then create databases that can be populated by the customer.

I believe that because of this complexity and possible variety no CAD company has ever come up with descent procedures to tackle all problems. I can't blame them ;-)

To get back to your issues; To be succesful at hole exports, the Hole Definition file will need extra intelligence to start with. The Flat Pattern export definition will also need expanded possibilities. For a DXF export you can use layers, colors, line types whatever. The exporter routine will need intelligence from the Hole Def File.

For the GEO export there are no layers. I need to check on the possible definitions for Holes. I'm going to Euroblech on Friday 28th October and I will check what the possibilities are. Maybe we can have a look on how Trumpf does it and try to put this workflow in the DXF Flat Pattern creation?

With the GEO there is more intelligence possible (like e.g. bend lines already hold Bend angle and Direction , but GEO's can also have Points, engraving lines, text,etc...

The GEO can also contain Material Type, Material Thickness, Customer Name, Project Name, Bend Tooling names per bend, even pre bend operation data(for bend steps in 2 stages), Cutting Table Name, Cutting Table Experience Table Name, etc...

Thanks for your PDF Nicolas.

Greetings,

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Re: Pattern holes and flat size

PLM World Member Genius PLM World Member Genius
PLM World Member Genius

Frank/Nicholas,

I'm right there with the two of you on this as we have the same issues as well concerning hole sizes, etc in thicker material. If I program a DXF inside our new Trumpf Laser Controller, once it knows the material and thickness it does exactly what you are talking about automagically. However, we don't use their offline programming software so it's not a viable solution. Frank look into Boost and see if they indeed do that offline as well. We can't have our operator programming all the thick plate out on the machine.

If there was a way to accomplish this with NX material databases, we would still need a customizable method to pass the geomtry along so that a CAM system will read it properly and etch instead of cutting the geometry.  Currently our CAM solution will do this, but it has to be on a specific layer name when it's imported to work. Something I don't think NX can accomplish at this point. Or can they?

Best Regards,
Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Budde Sheet Metal Works, Inc.
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1
TC10.1.5 32 GB RAM, nVIDIA Quadro K4200
Highlighted

Pattern holes and flat size

Creator
Creator

This topic is about NX flat pattern and the need to include averything in it. But at the same time having the option to define different types of holes as separate layers. Also to get the center mark for holes in the flat pattern with some intelligence.

I attach a document with some information and hope to provoke many comments. To me it would make sense to be able to group different types of holes with a different layer. Also to have the option to include centermarks for that type if so chosen. I did not spend too much time with this document so all rights reserved to all typos.

-Nicolas

NX Sheet Metal
NX Sheet Metal

This group is dedicated to the discussion of Sheet Metal in NX.

Members (80)