Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Rapid Dimension specifically for Sheet Metal...

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you experience the rapid dimension as a bridge too far;

Rapid dimension looks at the selected objects and makes an interpretation. Based on that it will give you a distance, radius, diameter, angle, etc.

We have daily irritation/frustration when rapid dimension interprets bend radii where you cannot see the radius itself and still it's presenting us a radius dimension. This might be interesting for axles, tubes etc but NOT for sheet metal parts.

Or break corners with a radius; same happens here. In a view where you don't see the radius, I DON'T want to get a radius as proposed dimension.

So might it not be intelligent to have a sheet metal specific Rapid Dimension?

This really is a daily frustration that makes using the rapid dimension partially worthless.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Greetings,

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend
8 REPLIES

Re: Rapid Dimension specifically for Sheet Metal...

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Hi Frank,
Can you provide a specific example, I cannot replicate any issue with rapid dimension.

thanks

Gears Legend

It' about the daily speed of clicking.

In sheet metal it's by exception that I would like to see a radial / diametrical dimension of an object of which I don't SEE the radius:

2017-02-20_23.gifRadial Diametrical dimension I don't need.

Every time I click on rounded edges we have to do more clicks; It's either that or wait for a quick pick.

Hence the question for sheet metal parts; don't give radial / diametrical dimensions when you don't SEE a radius, circle, arc...

It's a daily waste of time. Just make draft files for a few hours in a row and you will get my point. Rapid becomes slow when you have to be too concentrated with each click you make.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
on Win7 64bit

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi guys,

I understand what Frank wrote, reproduced a similar example and can confirm. I also asked around here and this topic was already discussed amongst our users before.

We changed last November from NX 8.5 to 10. I reproduced the example in NX 8.5, NX 10, NX 11.

In NX 8.5 there is "Inferred Dimension". In 10/11 there is "Rapid Dimension".

Our users complain about the Rapid Dimension in NX 10. They say the Inferred Dimension in NX 8.5 was much better, I totally agree. It seems in NX 11 it improved a little bit - but it's just my personal feeling.

Users say here in NX 10 it "always" selects the "wrong" intend.

And it's not limited to Sheet Metal. In Solid Modeling it's the same story.

Until now I didn't open any ER about it, it's not the highest priority.

Thomas

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Hi All

Looks like this is a drafting discussion more than specifically a Sheet Metal issue.

Frank, please can you repost this to the general NX forum for discussion amongst a wider group?

Thanks Clive

Gears Legend

There has been substantial conversation already on the forum since the arrival of NX9. With Dave Wingrave involved. https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Forum/Is-NX9-Dimensioning-a-step-forward/m...

Some of the issues have been addressed in a way. And with other issues we found a solution by having some macro's written.

And as you noticed, some issues are still standing. I'll keep the "bashing" for the beta test. Smiley Wink

This is the problem: NX can do what you want. But then comes the user experience; For development everything works fine if you click in the correct item each time. clickedyclick-mousetravel-mousetravel-escape-reselect-click-mousetravel-click.... and this with many dimensions, on each draft, every day... Do I lose hours per day? No. But I do lose my smile when I see this every day. Hard to explain. And the experience used to be different and better up to NX8.5.

I really hope that Dave Wingrave is going to be in Cypress, because that is another reason for wanting to attend in Cypress.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
on Win7 64bit

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Frank,

I also consulted my colleague in Product Definition team and got the same answer as Dave Wingrave has given in the post you linked to.

I'd like to offer a possible solution for you:

Customise the view radial menu and add linear and radial dimensions to it.  This way, the correct dimension command can be directly selected with a simple mouse gesture.  I've shown this in the attached movie file - of course you don't need to wait for the radial to show, I just did it slowly for you to see what I did.

(view in My Videos)

Gears Legend

Thanks for the video Dave but that's another workaround. Not a solution.

I just don't want to have a radial or diametral dimension proposed where I don't see a circle or arc.

Have look at this "non-sheet metal" part: Even here the dimensionong doesn't make any sence:

RED is just ridiculous

The green dimension is what I would expect but that one doesn't have the diametral logo in front of it.

2017-02-22_08.gifPOST NX8.5 Stupid diametral dimensions

So I will repeat my question. DON'T propose a diametral or radial dimension on objects-lines-curves- whatever-it-can-be if I don't see one in that specific view.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
on Win7 64bit

Gears Legend

I just need this option in a dialog somewhere:

Rapid Dimension filter.pngPOST NX8.5 Rapid Dimension option (fictional)

Smiley LOL

It will be turned OFF +80% off the time.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
on Win7 64bit
Highlighted

Rapid Dimension specifically for Sheet Metal...

Gears Legend

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you experience the rapid dimension as a bridge too far;

Rapid dimension looks at the selected objects and makes an interpretation. Based on that it will give you a distance, radius, diameter, angle, etc.

We have daily irritation/frustration when rapid dimension interprets bend radii where you cannot see the radius itself and still it's presenting us a radius dimension. This might be interesting for axles, tubes etc but NOT for sheet metal parts.

Or break corners with a radius; same happens here. In a view where you don't see the radius, I DON'T want to get a radius as proposed dimension.

So might it not be intelligent to have a sheet metal specific Rapid Dimension?

This really is a daily frustration that makes using the rapid dimension partially worthless.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Greetings,

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
on Win7 64bit
NX Sheet Metal
NX Sheet Metal

This group is dedicated to the discussion of Sheet Metal in NX.

Members (84)