Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Sheet Metal from Spline guides

Genius
Genius

Hi guys, I have been struggling with some advanced sheet metal features and am beginning to think it's not even doable. In short, I need to create a base contour flange using a spline as a guide curve.

guide.PNG

solid.PNG

I can sweep it to form a solid (as shown above) but I require a flat pattern at the end and that only works if using tabs or flanges. I can convert the solid into a sheet metal part but have no luck flattening it.

Using the contour flange command always displays an error, I assume because this isn't regular bending but forming and I need a different kind of license for this (aerospace maybe?).

Can you please advise me if and how this can be done?

@AmyReyes, @Dave_Walker

6 REPLIES

Re: Sheet Metal from Spline guides

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @hajnal_25

I can create advanced flange on a spline curve and flatten OK.

2018-02-12 09_24_22-Siemens NX - Sheet Metal.jpg

Can you confirm what licenses you have and what version of NX you are trying to do this with.

For this kind of geometry I would recommend advanced flange (part of the advanced sheet metal application.  I would not recommend aerospace sheet metal as this has been retired and completely consolidated in advanced sheet metal from NX11.

Dave

Genius
Genius
I am using NX 9, but don't have a license for advanced flange.
The main thing is that it can easily be done with the right tool. Now I just need to convince the department chief that we need to buy yet another license Smiley Happy

Thank you for your help and support!

Siemens Phenom

OK so in NX9 the solution I provded may not be supported, sorry, I've not checked.

without the advanced sheet metal license, what you are asking cannot be done, contour flange does not support splines.  If oyu can break your splines into individual arcs (I've no idea about the specifics of curvature you need) then this should work.

2018-02-12 10_00_44-Siemens NX - Sheet Metal.jpg

I would strongly recommend looking to upgrade to the latest version of NX that has many updates for flattening and many other improvements.  NX12 is a stable release with many sheet metal improvements.

Dave

Genius
Genius

I have this tool in NX 9 just not the license for it.

adv_fl.png 

We will ask for a test license to see if it does exactly what we are trying to achieve. If yes, then we will buy the license because we will need quite a lot of these in the near future.

Breaking the spline is realy not an option because it comes from an intersection curve that is driven by geometry in a linked part.

Siemens Phenom

So I did a quick test in NX9.0.3 and this simple case succeeds.  See attached part.

2018-02-12 12_18_35-NX 9 - Sheet Metal - [AdvancedFlangeOnSpline.prt].jpg

Siemens Phenom

Hello @hajnal_25,

One of my colleagues created the part in NX9 as attached (Thankyou @Amol_Badgujar).  This should be good evidence for the need of the advanced license.

And I say again:

"I would strongly recommend looking to upgrade to the latest version of NX that has many updates for flattening and many other improvements.  NX12 is a stable release with many sheet metal improvements."

Dave

Highlighted

Sheet Metal from Spline guides

Genius
Genius

Hi guys, I have been struggling with some advanced sheet metal features and am beginning to think it's not even doable. In short, I need to create a base contour flange using a spline as a guide curve.

guide.PNG

solid.PNG

I can sweep it to form a solid (as shown above) but I require a flat pattern at the end and that only works if using tabs or flanges. I can convert the solid into a sheet metal part but have no luck flattening it.

Using the contour flange command always displays an error, I assume because this isn't regular bending but forming and I need a different kind of license for this (aerospace maybe?).

Can you please advise me if and how this can be done?

@AmyReyes, @Dave_Walker

NX Sheet Metal
NX Sheet Metal

This group is dedicated to the discussion of Sheet Metal in NX.

Members (75)