Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Sheetmetal "cut" method

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

NX 11.02.

Looking for a better method to get this sheet metal shape.  In the past we ahve done it a couple ways, but none of them keep things as parametric as I would like.

The parts is basically a W shape, which can be created various ways, and will flatten, but it also needs to be trimmed to the planes in the image.  If we extrude a sheet body, trim it, thicken, and convert to sheet metal, we have had issues with it not making a correct flat pattern.  So I am looking for other techniques to get this trimmed up?

ScreenShot.JPG

Goal shape:

Goal.JPG

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
5 REPLIES

Re: Sheetmetal "cut" method

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

Hi Dave,

did you try a base contour flange as a starting point?

After that you can use a nomal cutout along the plane you already have defined.

It really looks very straightforward.

Every form that is defined with a radius can have an individual "resize neutral factor" applied to it.

Resizing the neutral factor will impact your flat pattern dimension. Keep that in mind when testing the flat pattern dimensions.

Give it a try!

edit: You can even use the same sketch as in your original extrude (make sketch external)

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@DaveK,

Something like this?

2018-06-01 16_21_54-NX 11.0.2.7 - Sheet Metal - [sheet_metal_model4.prt (Modified) ].jpgNX11 part file attached.

Dave

Gears Phenom

Thats it!  I forgot that normal cutout, will stay normal, as it wraps around the formed shape.  The contour base flange is a new one to me too, basically an extrude and convert to sheet metal, all in one.

Thanks guys!

-Dave

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
you're welcome Smiley Happy

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

Smiley Wink

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend
Highlighted

Sheetmetal "cut" method

Gears Phenom

NX 11.02.

Looking for a better method to get this sheet metal shape.  In the past we ahve done it a couple ways, but none of them keep things as parametric as I would like.

The parts is basically a W shape, which can be created various ways, and will flatten, but it also needs to be trimmed to the planes in the image.  If we extrude a sheet body, trim it, thicken, and convert to sheet metal, we have had issues with it not making a correct flat pattern.  So I am looking for other techniques to get this trimmed up?

ScreenShot.JPG

Goal shape:

Goal.JPG

-Dave
NX Sheet Metal
NX Sheet Metal

This group is dedicated to the discussion of Sheet Metal in NX.

Members (75)