cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All things Bicycle

Siemens Master Siemens Master
Siemens Master
If you want to talk bicycles... this is your thread. If you are just thinking about getting started and need advice on what to buy or how to start... or are long time cyclists, we want to hear from you!
7 REPLIES

Re: All things Bicycle

Siemens Builder Siemens Builder
Siemens Builder
I have a Cannondale R700. I bought it 3 years ago to do a charity ride from San Francisco to LA over 7 days! It was AWESOME.

I do have an awesome Siemens jersey that my friend and colleague Juergen Hasselbeck gave me. The shorts are a men's sling so I don't wear them but I do sport the jersey every once in a while.

Haven't rode yet this summer because I am into training...for nothing in particular. Thinking about doing the Tough Mudder. Anyone compete in it?

Siemens Master
I have a Cannondale R700. I bought it 3 years ago to do a charity ride from San Francisco to LA over 7 days! It was AWESOME.
I do have an awesome Siemens jersey that my friend and colleague Juergen Hasselbeck gave me. The shorts are a men's sling so I don't wear them but I do sport the jersey every once in a while.
Haven't rode yet this summer because I am into training...for nothing in particular. Thinking about doing the Tough Mudder. Anyone compete in it?

Cannondale R700; sounds like a nice ride! I'm sure with a small investment (tires perhaps) you could have a great tool for your summer training. Bring it by your local bike shop and have them give it a once over to tell you what is needed.
Clothing is always fun; getting shorts that fit and shoes can be an investment (you have cleats on your pedals right?).
Steve Bryant got a Siemens jersey from a friend over in Germany; you must have a similar one!

Siemens Builder Siemens Builder
Siemens Builder
Cannondale R700; sounds like a nice ride! I'm sure with a small investment (tires perhaps) you could have a great tool for your summer training. Bring it by your local bike shop and have them give it a once over to tell you what is needed.

I have everything I need...and do my own work on my bike. I just haven't been riding. Smiley Sad

Clothing is always fun; getting shorts that fit and shoes can be an investment (you have cleats on your pedals right?).

Yes, I have cleats!

Siemens Master
I have everything I need...and do my own work on my bike. I just haven't been riding. Smiley Sad

Yes, I have cleats!

That's because you need someone to ride *with* and motivate you! Your local bike shop will have organized rides for all levels :-).

N/A
If you want to talk bicycles... this is your thread. If you are just thinking about getting started and need advice on what to buy or how to start... or are long time cyclists, we want to hear from you!

Riding a 2007 Kona Kula Deluxe in the mountains and foothills of the Colorado Rockies (and occasionally the plains). The rig sports Hayes Nine hydraulic disk brakes which I need some help with:

Last year the brakes really started acting as though they needed new pads. So I got Hayes replacements and installed them myself. I was very careful not to touch the pads or rotors, I’ve heard all the warnings about doing that. I even used rubber gloves. The pads, by the way, were shot.

After I replaced them, they started squeaking pretty badly. I took it to a bike shop, explained the situation and asked them to check it out. They cleaned them and said they couldn’t find anything wrong. Well, even after the cleaning they continued to squeak.

So after some research and chatting with others, it was recommended to replace the rotors and pads, all with Hayes parts of course. Surprisingly, this didn’t change anything!

So my first ride this year, about a month ago, they were so bad I just couldn’t ride it. I would have needed to wear hearing protection. Well, it was just the front, the rear were silent.

So, I took it to another shop, explained the whole story and asked them to clean the rotors and replace the pads, got a tune-up too. $180 later, now the back brakes are squeaking and the fronts aren’t too bad … at least it’s ridable. The pads, by the way, were gooped up pretty bad, the rotors were still in good shape.

So what’s a good procedure for replacing disc brakes? How to stop squeaking? I’ve heard various views on “breaking-in” brakes … any advice on a break-in? Is it required/suggested?

Siemens Master
Riding a 2007 Kona Kula Deluxe in the mountains and foothills of the Colorado Rockies (and occasionally the plains). The rig sports Hayes Nine hydraulic disk brakes which I need some help with:
Last year the brakes really started acting as though they needed new pads. So I got Hayes replacements and installed them myself. I was very careful not to touch the pads or rotors, I’ve heard all the warnings about doing that. I even used rubber gloves. The pads, by the way, were shot.
After I replaced them, they started squeaking pretty badly. I took it to a bike shop, explained the situation and asked them to check it out. They cleaned them and said they couldn’t find anything wrong. Well, even after the cleaning they continued to squeak.
So after some research and chatting with others, it was recommended to replace the rotors and pads, all with Hayes parts of course. Surprisingly, this didn’t change anything!
So my first ride this year, about a month ago, they were so bad I just couldn’t ride it. I would have needed to wear hearing protection. Well, it was just the front, the rear were silent.
So, I took it to another shop, explained the whole story and asked them to clean the rotors and replace the pads, got a tune-up too. $180 later, now the back brakes are squeaking and the fronts aren’t too bad … at least it’s ridable. The pads, by the way, were gooped up pretty bad, the rotors were still in good shape.
So what’s a good procedure for replacing disc brakes? How to stop squeaking? I’ve heard various views on “breaking-in” brakes … any advice on a break-in? Is it required/suggested?

Wish I could help, but I'm a roadie, and only have experience with std side pull brakes.
Here are a few thoughts that might help:
1) When I clean the bike, some of the cassette cleaner gets on the rim (that portion that the brake pads use to slow the bike) and you get a horrendous squeal. Solution? Make sure the surface that the pad hits is nice and clean of lubricants/cleaner. Water is OK; your bike will brake just fine in the rain LOL.
2) Brake pads can pickup all sorts of debris from the road, Don't worry about being agressive digging out those pieces of aluminum or glass from the pads; they will work just fine.
3) New pads are notorious about squealing! If I had a new pad do this, I'd go after it with a piece of sandpaper! Don't worry, you can't hurt the thing (well they don't need to be handled with kid gloves anyway).
4) Make sure the pad contacts the surface nice and flat.
5) I'm surprised that they are advising you to handle the pads with white gloves... I mean really? These things are going to see mud and rain and dirt like all get out! I would not be opposed to scuff them up a bit before installing.
Just my thoughts on brake pads... and now you know why (in cycling) ... you can always get WAY more than you ever wanted to know about each and every part! LOL Don't get me started on stems!

N/A
5) I'm surprised that they are advising you to handle the pads with white gloves... I mean really? These things are going to see mud and rain and dirt like all get out! I would not be opposed to scuff them up a bit before installing.

As far as the gloves are concerned, they say getting any oil on the pads is bad (including oil from our hands, instructions on the pads themselves have the univisal icon not to touch the pads) and can cause them to gum up . It was my idea to use rubber gloves (not white cotton gloves) to handle them.

Scuffing the pads was a recommendation I came across else where too, I'll have to try that one.

For mountain biking anyway, once you go Disc, you never go back IMHO!

Thanks for the info.