Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Every message board needs an 'Off Topic' thread...

As I've just stated, every message board needs an 'Off Topic' thread for stuff that may be of general interest to the target audience but which does not necessarily qualify as being totally relevant to the normal expectations of the message board.  And so I've started this one (on the BBS we called it the 'Soapbox').

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
8 REPLIES

Re: Every message board needs an 'Off Topic' thread...

OK, to start this off, I have a bit of personal Trivia to share:

It was exactly 36 years ago today that I sat down in front of a Unigraphics (AKA NX) workstation for the very first time when the company I worked for at the time, Baker Perkins (no relation) in Saginaw, MI, sent 6 people to Carson, CA to take a Basic UG class after purchasing a 3 seat system of UG.  Three years later, I left BP and went to work for McDonnell Douglas, who by then had completely absorbed United Computing, the original developers of UG, into their autoamation group, McAuto, and they were looking for people to do demos and benchmarks.  And as they say, the rest is history.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Hi John! 

Thanks for your suggestion about an off topic area. I've moved this to the Community Suggestion area because we will be keeping our product discussion forums on topic (especially new areas) and any message that does not fall into that subject will be moved by a moderator or admin. While I agree with you that off topic areas are needed, it will not be done at the thread level. This will be added as an entire board and only available to registered members. Each Community manager will make the decision when to start off-topic boards in their respective areas. 

We have a lot of users from our GTAC message boards migrating here however we have just as many if not more users who are new to the Siemens PLM Community. This Community will be managed differently than the GTAC message boards. Be happy to have an offline conversation with you about this at any time however we are following a defined rollout of certain areas, off-topic is one of them. 

Thanks again for your suggestion!
Susan

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Hi John, you may have material for David E. Weisberg; http://www.cadhistory.net/

Why don't you start a new thread on this and see where it goes.

Tim
For the responsibility, an Engineer's pay is a joke.

Tim,

If you check the footnotes in Dave Weisberg's book you'll see that he's already credited me for several of the entries in the chapter covering the history of Unigraphics/NX.  I think he also provided a link to my 'Unigraphics Virtual Museum' site:

http://www.plmworld.org/p/cm/ld/fid=209

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Fabulous. I have to admit, I don't often read footnotes. I will check out your virtual museum. CAD history is a lot more interesting than people give credit for. Many years ago, I won a handsome bet that SolidWorks went into the market with Parasolid before SolidEdge did. I don't know if the salesman gladly gave in because he needed my endorsement for 2 seats of SolidEdge.

Tim

Hi John, I am wondering, apart from UGS history, do you follow the development of competitors say Autodesk?

Tim

Not really, particularly something like AutoDesk.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Well, we have to acknowledge that they have become the largest CAD company in the world. Their strategy have been no less ruthless by Microsoft standards. I asked because their package is particularly competitive in price now. But I am curious as to why they have packaged their Inventor with AutoCAD Mechanical? Is the detailing tools of Inventor so lacking that it needs AutoCAD to finish the job? I had always stayed away from Autodesk products since Mechanical Desktop was introduced. They weren't very stable and crashed often. With their ShapeManager engine which is a fork of ACIS, I wonder how they are doing now?

Tim Lim
Synchong Hoe Engineering Sdn Bhd
Sent from my iPhone +60124078634
URL: www.synchonghoe.com
Tim