Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Image" backups on PCs

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I started with computers a LONG time ago (DEC VMS, 1984) and always liked their "image" backup to a tape drive.

As I'll probably never see a tape drive that doesn't need a SCSI port, are there any "image" backup utilities out there that actually work? (I have a Dell Laptop)

I'm assuming (for $$) Ghost will.

What I'm looking for:

- OK if I have to boot off a CD/DVD to "free" up my main drive files

- do "image" backup to USB drive

- if current drive crashes/gets corrupted

- buy a new drive

- boot off the CD/DVD

- "image" restore from backup drive to new drive

- reboot & all is set.

I have Windows 7, and tried their utility, but the hard drive I bought has limit on (?sector size?) so I can't use that...

Current drive is (I think, not sure if Dell has something "interesting" set up) SSD and just one partition.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

2 REPLIES 2

Re: "Image" backups on PCs

Legend
Legend

Just saw this message.

Are you talking about a Desktop or Laptop?

As an example in link below, I have used these in the past for Desktop computers. I call them "Toasters"

Basically push a button, let it do its job, and you can just swap one out for the other. Many even copy the SID so the computer doesn't know the difference when you install the new one. 

I would have 2 backups. One after a fresh install, and then a 2nd that I would periodically update with my current drive, so it would be "close" to up to date with all the windows updates. 

I had a hard drive crash a few years back and I was up and running in about 30 min. 

Just make sure you clone in the right direction, or you will write an empty drive onto your current one Smiley Happy

https://www.amazon.com/WEme-Dual-Bay-External-Duplicator-Tool-Free/dp/B00PTUQE4M/ref=asc_df_B00PTUQE...

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP5 Primarily CAM
Highlighted

Re: "Image" backups on PCs

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Glenn - I'll have to try this out.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Try Solid Edge for free