cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Death by PowerPoint??

Creator
Creator

Ah, I would normally be contrarian to your contrarianism, but in this case I see your point.  My point, while I do not like Power Point, isn't so much that I would like to do away with it all together, but would rather see it used differently.  In most cases the person presenting the material will rely on the PPT to convey the message so much that they do not engage with the people in front of them as much as they do the screen behind them.  A person that is speaking to a topic and engages the audience can have killer PPT presentation that is running behind them but they use it to lay the foundation for the presentation rather than using it as a teleprompter for what they are talking about.

Experimenter
Experimenter

When I give a presentation at a conference like this, the Powerpoint is NEVER meant to stand on its own.

I do a slide a minute, so 30 minutes is a 30 slide presentation and my "style" is typically more conversational with the audience than most.  The content of the slides is more to act as a GPS waypoint than an actual description of a destination.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

TheHeretic wrote:

When I give a presentation at a conference like this, the Powerpoint is NEVER meant to stand on its own.

I do a slide a minute, so 30 minutes is a 30 slide presentation and my "style" is typically more conversational with the audience than most.  The content of the slides is more to act as a GPS waypoint than an actual description of a destination.

In a "just asking" kind of way:

Say I had another presentation I wanted to go to (or maybe I had to present at the same time as your presentation), so I can't attend your talk.

I realize I'll miss the extra stuff you cover in your verbal presentation, and any Q&A/interaction that goes on, but..

If I download your Powerpoint file, can I learn what you were trying to teach?

Or is your Powerpoint file (essentially) useless to someone who wasn't there & didn't take notes?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

Yep, Ken that is Exactly how I feel.

Ifit were at all possible I would present without a single slide and do it all on a white board.

Highlighted

Solution Partner Experimenter Solution Partner Experimenter
Solution Partner Experimenter

It isn't that simple to say, that getting your adience in half sleeping position isn't effective.

If a slide show takes someone to a half sleeping / dreaming position, I think this is a proof of listening. I mean that in fact the powerpoint offers a tool to "force" your audience to listen and into a one-way conversation (temporarily). 

If you think about the iceberg theory ("https://www.languageandculture.com/cultural-iceberg"), this tool is effective for a large audience to have common focus.

Also, again pointing to the iceberg, take into account that the duration of this listening position is defined by many factors. As soon as your story hits the ice too hard or too soft, the person will try to reflect a personal story back to the presenter. If, as a presenter, you don't want to listen to the reflections of any individual of your audience, then in my opinion you have chosen the wrong audience ;-) If the audience comes to that conclusion first, you loose the audience.

Visual focus is in my opinion the key for managing your conversation with an audience. Sound can do that also, but vision is easier in most of the times.