cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detroit RUG 2014 - 600 Attendees

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

Another fantastic event hosted by the Detroit Regional Users Group. With 29 presentation sessions including 16 Siemens, 8 customers and 5 partners sharing their knowledge there was something for all to learn from.

PLM World hosted a roundtable session allowing the user community to nominate and vote on topics for PLM Connection 2015 in the User Experience category of NX and Teamcenter.

One of the best moments of the day for me was in the closing comments the Detroit RUG Chair Scott Lanski announced a $5000 charitable donation to Lakeview High School to help improve their CAD Design curriculum. Then Chris Stevens from Siemens PLM was on hand to announce a matching $5000 donation from Siemens PLM. What a great opportunity for the PLM World user group community and Siemens PLM to help in the development of our next generation of engineers and designers. Simply awesome.

The PLM World mobile app was a huge hit with lots of excellent dialogue in the activity stream all day. I had people commenting to me all day how helpful the app was from the agenda builder, facility map, session surveys, attendee list, partner list all contributing to a greater ability to engage with the conference and fellow attendees.

General Motors employees Paul Hornung and Jim Bell topped the mobile app leaderboard in 1st and 2nd place with Paul winning an iPad Air courtesy of PLM World and Jim winning an iPad Mini courtesy of the Detroit RUG. Thank you both for your enthusiastic participation all day long.

The popular Top Gun competition was held again at lunchtime with 6 students competing against only 2 customer employees. They had 90 minutes to model a driveshaft from a Chrysler powertrain with most attendees getting it done. I'm told there were some high quality CAD models built with Silica Polocoser from Hi-Lex Controls taking out 1st prize and student Matthew McAllister from the Career Prep Center taking out 2nd. Silica received an iPad Air while Matthew received some Beats headphones. Congratulations to you both. We hope to see more of our expert designers out there putting their NX skills on the line next year.

A big thank you also to the Detroit RUG partners for their participation and sponsorship. Events like this do not happen without our partner community. All of the partners I spoke with were just ecstatic with the contacts they made and to be a part of the 3rd largest gathering of Siemens PLM users anywhere in the world. The Detroit RUG affords them a rare opportunity to showcase their products and services to a diverse group of people from hands on users to IT deployment professionals to business process owners to senior level executives.

PLM World's academic outreach program continued with complimentary booths offered to Oakland University, Focus Hope and the Lakeview High School. They were all super excited and appreciative of the opportunity to let our industry know of the great programs they have focused on the use of PLM. We also had some students from the University of Michigan who were kind enough to bring their award winning Solar Car, display in front of the facility and talk with delightful passion and enthusiasm all day long with attendees about the design and engineering work they do to design, build and race this impressive vehicle.

All in all, a great day was held by all. Kudos and thanks to the Detroit RUG board of directors for your hard work in putting this event on.

Attendee Demographics.jpg

Top 10 Companies.jpg

Content.jpg

top gun winners.jpg

leaderboard winners.jpg

detroit board.jpg

premium partners.jpg

partners.jpg

Mark Halbish
Technical Director - PLM World

Join the PLM World independent user group discussion Now!
1 REPLY

Re: Detroit RUG 2014 - 600 Attendees

PLM World Member Creator PLM World Member Creator
PLM World Member Creator

Events like these are really exciting!  Wish that I could have been there.  Way to go on the charitable contributions (Detroit RUG and Siemens) supporting ongoing PLM activities at the high school level!  To me that really is a defining moment and one to be proud of!  Congratulations again for a very successful RUG meeting!