Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High School Students use NX to Forge Career Paths

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

nx-for-design-welcome_tcm1023-195452.jpgHigh school students are using NX to forge career paths in the industry. Michigan's Lakeview High School Instructor, Jolaine Price, gives us insight into this rewarding program and educates us on why we should be paying attention to this talented group of individuals.  

Tell us a little about yourself and your background.

I started out at the University and shortly realized that my student loans were going to be more than my starting income. So I switched to Macomb County Community College and majored in drafting. I was able to obtain a coop placement and that began my career. My work paid for my degree and although it took many years, I was able to graduate with a Bachelor's degree and no student loans. I continued my education at Wayne State University where I earned a Master's Degree in Career & Technical Education. This allows me to teach at the secondary level, community colleges, and technical universities. The position at Lakeview High School opened up and when was offered to me I accepted it.

How did the drafting program get started at Lakeview High School and how does it work? Lakeview has had drafting for years. I was hired to modernize it. The first thing I did was apply for and our school was awarded the Siemens PLM Gold Grant. The computers did not have the capability to run the NX software initially. Our district invested grant funding to gradually update all the computers. I now teach 9th grade students NX with much success. Any student can sign up for the Intro to Drafting class beginning at 9th grade.

What do the students like most about the program and using NX? 

Students love creating designs and 3D printing their creation. Students also like that it is a hands on class.

Share some success stories for some of your students.

The second year one of my students competed and won the Detroit Regional Top Gun Competition.

What would you like industry professionals to know about your program/students?

I would like industry to know that these students exist. Many companies stopped hiring high school students due to the technology gap. Schools continued to teach board drafting while companies transitioned to computer. Schools were not teaching what industry was doing. At the same time many companies began to outsource all their entry level work. If companies knew what these students could do, they would be knocking down my door. The students who love it learn faster than I can teach them. We are in need of coop and summer intern job opportunities.

If you would like more information about this program, please contact Jolaine Price