Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regional User Group 2017 Events – Reaching the Masses

PLM World Member Creator PLM World Member Creator
PLM World Member Creator

By: Erin Wander, PLM World Community Engagement Strategist

TRUG top gun detroit.JPGhe 2017 Regional User Group (RUG) event season is always an exciting time! When it comes to a close in a few weeks, nearly 2,000 Siemens PLM software users will have attended one of 17 events held across the country. These events offer users the ability to come together for one day to receive training they can use immediately to enhance their skills in their day-to-day jobs. Both employee and employer benefit from this opportunity. And, the networking and fun incorporated into each event is an added bonus.    

Many volunteers make these events possible. They work with PLM World and Siemens staff to coordinate, implement and host these events on behalf of PLM World members.  It is a second full-time job that they do for free—for you.

RUG New England.jpg

Hundreds of presentations are given over the course of the season. Siemens staff and customers volunteer to offer their expertise to others. Survey after survey shows that great customer presentations are a highlight for attendees. These presenters bring a fresh perspective on how various software applications make a difference to them and their companies—what works for them that might work for you? 

RUG leadership teams are always looking for individuals willing to step-up and present. Don Mitchel, an engineer at Fermilab, recently presented to the Chicago/Wisconsin RUG. Don explained his reasons for volunteering his time, “I love to present at RUG events because it gives me a chance to further develop my presentation skills, hone my Teamcenter and NX skills, pass along my knowledge to others, and network with other like-minded professionals. It forces you to really learn the material and to become the resident expert on the topic.” Presenting is also a great way to enhance your professional development.

Unfortunately, the number one reason people don’t present at RUG events is due to fear of public speaking. “After years of presenting in front of my peers, I still get nervous. To calm my nerves, I make sure that I understand the material to my best ability so that the information is well established in my mind” says Don.

Don’s Tips and Tricks!

• Identify the major elements of the presentation; what do you want the audience to walk away with?

• Create bullet points for each element and sort in logical order

• Choose the method(s) that will best explain the material (slides, recorded demo, props)

• Mix it up by using PowerPoint with lots of graphics, demos and group ice-breakers

• Develop the material and rehearse—check timing and leave time for questions

• Use “Ready Talk” (www.readytalk.com) to record your presentation without an audience. Play it back and listen for ways to improve or revise

• Repeat until you are confident and ready to present live

• Don’s favorite tip, “prepare a pre-recorded demo. It is a great way to show material and gives you a break from speaking. The content is controlled because you recorded it when you were alone and not nervous.”

Don believes customers should be less hesitant to speak and take the opportunity to give back to the

RUG community, “I strongly suggest that you volunteer to present the material at a RUG conference. You’ll learn so much and will walk away feeling very satisfied knowing that you’ve helped others.” Check out

You can find Don’s presentation Creating and Managing Engineer Documents within Teamcenter, here.

PLM World recognizes not everyone can attend a RUG event. However, we want you to have access to much of the education provided at these events. Many presenters upload their presentations for all members to view. Login at PLM World, go to File Libraries and review the RUG folders and presentations.