Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent Based modelling with Plant Simulation

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Dear community,

I was wondering if it is possible to use Plant Simulation (which is a descrete event simulation modelling platfrom, as far as I know) to create an agent based model?

I'm asking because I see PlantSim does not have a standalone logistics library for things such as trucks and road networks and such. 

2 REPLIES

Re: Agent Based modelling with Plant Simulation

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator
I want to add about system dynamics simulation.

Anylogic is creating a lot of fuss about these to topics, ABS and SDS. If there is a clear answer on how this two methodologies could be exemplified on Plant sim it would be really useful.

Also, if these are outside current Plant Sim capabilities it would be good to know to avoid opening this discussion when brought up by customers.

Hopefully somebody could bring some feedback on this topic.

Re: Agent Based modelling with Plant Simulation

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Two comments for two questions:

1. Roads and vehicles are part of the standard library (Track, TwoLaneTrack, Transporter).
  2. It is a bit a question of semantics, what names you give to objects in Plant Simulation. The Transporter object offers a lot of control options so that its behavior becomes (more) intelligent. Years ago I already created a teaser model with cars (each with a different target speed) overtaking on a circular track.

The same holds a bit for System Dynamics. In a very simplistic way, SD uses time-slicing for the timing of state changes. You can create these events yourself as well. I do think, though, that SD is applied in different areas compared to where we are used to apply Plant Simulation (factory planning).

Gert Nomden
Senior Consultant | Tecnomatix Product Manager
cardsplmsolutions.com