Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Animating IRB6700 robot

Creator
Creator

How do I specify a rotation axis and centre of rotation position when simulationg a robot motion.  Currently have this code:

var LINK01_Rotate := IRB6700._3D.getObject("LINK01")
var LINK02_Rotate := LINK01_Rotate.getObject("LINK02")

LINK01_Rotate.SelfAnimations.playRotation(0,90,10)
LINK02_Rotate.SelfAnimations.playRotation(0,90,10)

But the rotation is around the Z axis.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Animating IRB6700 robot

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I assume that the axis and the centre will not change during your simulation, so the easiest way is to just set them in the 3D properties dialog of the respective animatable object(s), i.e. LINK01 and LINK02. There, go to the self animation page and change the values at the right side of the page.

In case you might actually want to modify them during your simulation, you can do that by assigning the attributes LINK01_Rotate.AniRotationAxis, LINK02_Rotate.AniRotationAxis, LINK01_Rotate.AniRotationCenter or LINK02_Rotate.AniRotationCenter (using the variable names of your code snipplet).

Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution

Creator
Creator
Thanks, unfortunately, that doesn't work, LINK02_Rotate is not a class but asecond level in the graphic structure underneath LINK01. I think the question I should have asked is what approach would you use to simulate (approximately) the motion of a 6 axis robot? The approach I've taken now seems fraught with difficulty.

Siemens Phenom

There are a couple of other existing threads having discussed that topic.

The basic outcome mostly was that you need to learn some kinematics basics in order to informedly do so.

It is unclear to me why setting the animation rotation axis/center do not work for that particular isolated issue because they are designed to do exactly that. Or do you mean that this defines your axes but you need to do more?

Phenom
Phenom

@Simsol

Here's an example with Comau's latest eDo 6 axis robot, which has the similiar/ same axis constellation as the ABB IRB6700.

Run the simulation and have a look.

Please structure your robot axis accordingly !

Unbenannt.png

Creator
Creator

Thank you.  The Comau model was a big help.  Have now fixed the graphic structure and rotation centres.  Just need to specify what axis the joints move around when my method is called.  Using the earlier idea I get this error:

RobotError.PNGI

I don't seem to be able to access the specific joint within the graphics hierarchy, is there a different command to use?

Siemens Phenom

This should work, but I found out that there is a bug in version 14 that prevents you from setting the rotation axis and center via SimTalk which will be fixed in the next maintenance pack (those two attributes are accidentally considered read-only in SimTalk).

But it should not be necessary as the axis in reality typically is fixed in its rotation direction (the joints themselves move around and thus produce "arbitrary" rotations from a global point of view but in the coordinate system of the joint itself, the rotation axis typically remains fixed).

Setting the values in the dialog is still possible, even in the buggy version.

Creator
Creator

I have set the axis to the X Axis in the dialogue, which I think is what you mean.  However when my method runs the axis rotates around the Z axis:

MethodRotationWrong.PNG

If I just jog the LINK02 axis it works correctly.  What is wrong?

JogRotationCorrect.PNG

Creator
Creator

Ignore my last post, just realised that it's in the self animation tab that I need to set the rotation axis.  Thanks for all your help everyone.