Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone interfacing with Tableau?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Just wondering if any members of this community have experience interfacing with Tableau. I am interested in using it for both a live dashboard and results viewer. I'm not sure if it supports DDE or any of the Plant Sim interfaces. Please let me know your tips / lessons learned.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Anyone interfacing with Tableau?

Legend
Legend

Hello,

I'm also looking for tableau and I'm truly interrested in interfacing it with plant Simulation. 

So I reup your post. If anyone (Siemens staff) have some tips, let us know.

Regards,

rpinon 

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Here's an update after 1 week of experimenting around...

Tableau doesn't support "real-time" data transfer during the simulation run. The fastest refresh rate available in Tableau is every 15 seconds. Therefore, I use it to vizualize results following a simulation run but not as a live dashboard.

My setup uses an endsim method that writes a table with all my simulation data to a .txt file stored in the cloud. My data connection in Tableau is directly to the .txt file so all the end user has to do at the end of the simulation run is hit the refresh button on the visualzation. Also, Tableau can connect to multiple .txt files and join them as needed if more than one TableFile contains important data. I have not experimented yet with any of the other data connections because I believe they require servers.

Tableau easily interpreted my .txt file except for one issue. It recognizes the date data type but it doesn't recognize time. I convert time to real in Plant Simulation as a workaround for now.

I plan to keep utilizing Tableau since I'm able to export my simulation results as a Packaged Tableau Workbook and send it to anyone with the free Tableau Desktop Viewer in a format that I've made easy to interpret and draw conclusions independently.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the reply, we are also trying Tableau and we are doing the extract, the same as you but with  .csv for the moment.

We will try next week to store the data with SQLite.

The best solution will be to connect Tableau directly with the TableFile of Plant Simulation, but we are not sure that is it possible.

Can someone from Siemens know if it possible to recover Data directly from the Plant Simulation File (.spp)?

Best Regards,

Martin Rat