Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly & Worker Pools

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am fairly new on here and i have just started using Plant simulation student version 13. I am currently creating a generic model for a production line. There is 4 incoming sub assemblies that feeds into a main line and 1 main components. I am struggling to find a way to combine the 4 sub assemblies MUs at the 'Assembly' with the main MU. I have also created worker pools for each sub assembly station as well as for the main line but the workers go work any where there is space available instead of working at the station in which they are assigned to. Can you anyone please assist?

3 REPLIES

Re: Assembly & Worker Pools

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi!

It's not completely clear what are you trying to do. 

I've created a simple model with line which processes both main MUs and SubAssy. Some notes:

1. Source works according to table, it produces all specified types of parts in order
  2. Assembly station should have one "main" entrance and one or more "side" connectors for assembly components. If both Main and SubAssy are produced on the same line, you can have two "virtual" buffers. In my model robot puts a part to certain buffer according to part name (see Exit tab of robot).
  3. Assembly station uses assembly table to define which and how many parts to assembly.
  4. Generally you need only one WorkerPool to generate workers. You can specify several different workers in creation table inside WorkerPool.
  5. Now workers only provide processing resources to stations. If you want workers to carry parts from one station to another, see "Exit Strategy" of the station - you can set "Carry Part Away" strategy and define target station there. However often you'll need to program a method to avoid model stuck, like in the following situation:
  • Worker brings a part to a busy station and waits
  • Station finishes to process a part and waits while worker carry it away
  • Worker cannot put a part in his hands (as station is occupied) and cannot take part from station (as hands are busy)
Regards, Vladimir.

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hi Vladimir Thank you so much for your prompt response. I tried to re create the model using your generic model. I am building a model that encompasses 4 different types of main sub assemblies which arrives in different quantities and 1 main part sub assembly that arrives in a quantity of 2 per assembly. the 4 types of sub assemblies go through processing steps prior being assembled with the main part. the sub assemblies are then transported by a forklift to the main assembly line (which in this case the forklift is demonstrated by 'PickAndPlace'). The main part is received from an external supplier therefore it requires no processing prior entering the assembly line. The model seem to work but if i run it for a longer time, the subs get blocked at the queuing buffers prior the assembly sub station. I created a method to try resolve the problem but it doesn't seem to work. Your suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi!

Obviously, model produces not enough "Boolster" parts, as it's buffer is empty.

I've modified your model a bit by creating method which is run from the ExitControl of each line's last buffer and checks whether there's free space for this part before assembly.

I did not delete your method, just inserted "return" instruction to the first line.

Also please note that you can assembly only one Main part at a time. If you need to assembly two main parts, they should be treated like other components. In this case you can create a source which is connected to the Main Entrance of the assembly and produces containers. You can think about it like a "virtual" new assembly, which just contain all other parts.

Regards, Vladimir.