Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD layout import in 3D

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi All,

Can anyone share the proper method to import the 2D layout into plant simulation 3D?Currently i am trying to import an autocad layout of .jt format into plant simulation 3D in 1:1 scale. The problem i am facing is that the imported layout doesn't fit(in this case becomes too big) the plant simulation spacings and when i try to creating the objects for example a conveyor, the actual length doesn't coincide with the the layout.

Please let me know, if there is correct way of importing the layout into 3D

4 REPLIES

Re: AutoCAD layout import in 3D

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If I understood you correctly, you had an AutoCAD layout, converted it into a .jt file and imported that into Plant Simulation.

First of all, since Plant Simulation V12.2, you can import AutoCAD layouts in .dwg or .dxf format directly.

Drag and drop the file into your scene or use the "Import Graphics" command from the 3D Edit ribbon.

With another tool converting the layout, the error possibilities typically only grow more (and the uncertainty about what might have happened).

Now, what you experienced, probably comes from the AutoCAD layout not having been written with measurement units. To my knowledge, unfortunately, they are not mandatory, and thus there are layouts without units. In that case, we can only treat those as having been modeled in meters, but if the original layout was modeled in millimeters, feet etc., the layout will be scaled falsely.

To fix that, you can then use knowledge about what measurement unit was meant in the layout to scale the imported graphics. Say, the layout would have been created in millimeters, scale the imported graphics with a factor of 0.001. The other units then have to be scaled similarly with their respective factors.

Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution

Hi Peter,

I tried scaling the layout by 0.001. After doing this the layout gets too small in the 3D i.e., a layout of 3000mm X 1000mm gets scaled to 1m by 1m in plant simulation

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
  1. Please make sure that use scale uniformly - different scaling factors are the only way I know to get a result as you described it.
  2. Are you certain that the layout was modeled in millimeters? Maybe you can get the layout with unit informations - that would make the task a lot easier.
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. The unit was set to inch in autocad. After changing it to mm, it is scaled properly now in plant simulation.