Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic routing with turntables

Creator
Creator

Hello everyone!

I am trying to simulate a similar system like the one Kiva uses in Amazon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UxZDJ1HiPE).

The basic idea is to have AGVs (transporters) that move along a grid (no specific tracks), pick up containers, and move through defined track towards a specific destination. In the video is very easy to see, when the AGV is empty, it can move to any free point of the grid. If it is full, it can only follow a specific pre-defined track.

After some time of interaction with the worker (picking up the needed material), the transporter takes the container back to the position from where it took it. Movements are only vertical and horizontal. For turning, the AGV stops, turns around its axis, and continues (thus the turntables).

My guess is that using tracks is not going to be very useful. I was thinking on using turntables, forming a grid. I have connected all of them and set sensors as destination, but the automatic routing doesn't seem to work when using turntables. I have tried setting the destination of transporters to several different objects, and none works.

Any idea on how to do this? Hope I was clear enough!

Thanks!

Witold.

6 REPLIES

Re: Automatic routing with turntables

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

generally,  automatic routing also works with turntables (s. attached model)

test01.jpg

Creator
Creator

Hi! Thanks for replying.

That works just fine, it's true. But I'm trying to connect turntable after turntable. See pic.

It just does not seem to work this way.

Phenom
Phenom

FYI

test01.jpg

Creator
Creator

When you try doing a grid of turntables it does not work. In your model it finds the destination because there is only one possible way to it.

Try doing a 3x3 grid of turntables, and the transporter will go crazy.

Phenom
Phenom

it seems the automatic routing is not always calculating a route to the destination object  - when using turntables and then - instead-  using its default routing.

a quick work around could be to use your own shortest path routing algorithm (e.g. Dijkstra, recoded from a basic code )

test01.png

Creator
Creator

I was trying to avoid this. Well, I will give it a try. Thank you so much!

Will keep you posted.