Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automotive assembly line simulation

Creator
Creator

Greetings friends,

I need your suggestions on simulating an automotive trim & final line that runs on Slat conveyors (floor coveyors).

The vehicle body is continuously moving (at low speeds)on the conveyors while operations are performed at different stations. I also have to provide downtime data for stations and conveyors seperately. 

Vehicle has to move synchronously across different stations and also if one station or conveyor is in breakdown the production is affected.

Appreciate your suggestions / ideas that would help me to solve my issue. I'm using 2D plant sim and NOT 3D.

Thanks

Aravind

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Automotive assembly line simulation

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello Aravind,

the operation of the technical system  is not clear to me.

Please build an easy model with a Source (Interval = 4 s), a Line (not Accumulating) and a Drain.

It can be a beld conveyor.

Then you add a SingleProc with a failure (deactivate Availability, Interval = 3 s, Duration 1 s).

The failure of the station is transferred to the Line by a LockoutZone (Drag & Drop the Line and the SingleProc onto the LockoutZone). If you have multiple stations, each failure of a station can stop the Line.

Regards,

Peter

Creator
Creator

Hello Peter,

Thank you very much for your response. 

I have attached a sample model. in the Model I have placed stations between different line conveyor segments, but in actual environment stations are on a single floor conveyor.

I also have attached a ppt explaining the scenario.

Do have a look and let me know your comments

Regards,

Aravind

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hello Aravind,

I believe Peter meant a setup like this:

grafik.png

In this model, the stations are only there to stop the line during their failures. Also the line has its own failure profile (for downtimes of the conveyor itself). If any station or the conveyor has a failure, the line is stopped.

Edit: if this is the only purpose of the stations, of course you could also add another failure-profile to the line for each station (with X stations, the line-object would have X+1 failure profiles), without placing station objects in the model at all.

Regards
Alex

Creator
Creator

Hello Alex,

Thank you very much for your comments. 

You got one part of my query right which is coneyor and station downtimes using lockout zone object.

In your comments as per your "edit" statement the stations are used only for downtime application.

But in my case I need to have parts get in and out of station and collect statistics for utilization of stations as well as the parts need to travel in conveyor. I have station cycle times (same time for all stations) as input for all the stations in the conveyor .

Hope I'm clear about the objective of this thread.

Appreciate your  comments.

Regards,

Aravind

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

In that case: why use a line-object at all? It's actually only for animation purposes, but not required for the simulation. The cycletime of the stations will match the travel time on the line (I hope/assume). So you could just place X SingleProcs after each other for the materialflow, and place a line beside them to transfer line-failures to the other stations. I you need the nice animation on the conveyor line I suggest using a sensor for each station and when reaching the sensor, creating a "dummy-MU" into the respective station for the statistics (see attachment). You might want to create a network-class for the Station-construct (Buffer+SingleProc+DummyDrain).

Phenom
Phenom

As already indicated, you don't necessarily need  to explicitly model transfers ( if exists)

as the transfer time usually is considered as a part of the station cycletime.

This is the way BiW /assembly lines usually are modelled by line builders for car builders.

Main reason for this level of detail are simpler models, less modelling time (e.g. less parameters)

leading to less bugs.

In your case/model it also will be easier to implement assembly stations ( if really necessary)

BTW

Please keep in mind, that all stations in your modell will have the same utilization.

Creator
Creator

Hello Peter,

Thank you very much for your help. 

The model you had build has captured all my requirements.

You are absolutely right about the transfer time as a part of process time.

Sincerely appreciate your time and effort in solving my issue.

Regards,

Aravind