Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU & Simulation time

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello.

Maybe a little offtopic, sorry I couldn´t find a better forum to ask.
I´m interested to know how simulation time correlates with the used CPU.

I see in the system requirements for Version 12 that a Core i5-4430 or i7-4470 is recommended

Lets say I have experiments that run about 30 minutes on a 5 year old Core M580 CPU (distributed simulation).
What is the best benchmark to look at if I want to know how much faster a newer CPU would be?
Benchmarks rarely attribute to much but is there any indicator that would tell me the likely benefit?

Thanks in advance

8 REPLIES

Re: CPU & Simulation time

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello Satras,

a good indicator is the time for a simulation run in our small parts production example model.

If you right click in the console window and turn on debug output it will show you the CPU time after a simulation run.

Just run the simulation in the Assembly1 frame until it stops in fast-forward mode (i.e. without animation). The you can compare the CPU time which is printed to the console window.

Regards,

Ralf

Regards,

Ralf
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you for your fast response.
Since I´m in the market for a new laptop I´m trying to check if the additional costs of a Core i7-4810MQ compared to an i5-4200M are justifiable. I don´t expect someone has these two or similar cpus laying around, so I would like to know which benchmark is best comparable to the scenario you described. Benchmarks are widely available, real plant simulation usage data not so much.

Siemens Phenom

If you are interested in single simulation run performance you should look for a CPU benchmark which runs in a single thread, doesn't have mostly floating point calculations and deals with large memory so that the CPU cache cannot cache the whole program.

Regards,

Ralf
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Experimenter
Experimenter

Okay thanks again!

Just for reference:

Small Parts Production on Plant Simulation v12.0.0 with Intel Core i5 M 580

• .Models.Assembly1.EventController: Events processed = 79615,  Real-time factor = 40860.4, CPU Time = 2.01s, Events/CPU second = 39561.96  (without animation)

• .Models.Assembly1.EventController: Events processed = 490810,  Real-time factor = 12180.2, CPU Time = 7.04s, Events/CPU second = 69760.48 (with animation)

I will edit this post with the new results in the coming days/weeks.

Siemens Phenom

Just to add some comparison numbers:

Intel Xeon E3-1270:

CPU Time (without animation): 0.83s

CPU Time (with animation):      2.36s

Regards,

Ralf

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I am wondering where I can find the document describing the recommended system requirements for Plant Simulation v12? I am on the lookout for a new computer that can run the simulations as fast as possible without regards to the computer cost.

Does anyone have any recommendations if you regard these criteria:

1. Disregard any monetary cost involved.
2. Assume the model is fully optimized for performance

What would your absolutely optimal and most powerful computer configuration look like?

I have heard from a source that the limiting factor of simulations is the graphis card, however I am very skeptical of this statement as the processor seems to be the number one factor for performance since Plant Simulation V12 doesn't use CUDA, along with the requirement for a large amount of memory if running large models. There seems to be no graphics intensive calculations unless you use the 3D models, which I am not.

Thank you!

Siemens Phenom

Hello ET_Boys,

the most relevant component here is indeed the CPU. (Assuming that you have enough RAM to fit your model size.)

I would recommend the current Core i7 with the highest available clock rate.

If you don't use 3D the graphics card doesn't matter.

Regards,

Ralf

Regards,

Ralf

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I finally got my new notebook:

Small Parts Production on Plant Simulation v12.0.2 with Intel Core i7-4810MQ
.Models.Assembly1.EventController: Events processed = 79675,  Real-time factor = 137748.1, CPU Time = 0.61s, Events/CPU second = 130957.41 (without animation)

.Models.Assembly1.EventController: Events processed = 490911,  Real-time factor = 46609.4, CPU Time = 1.86s, Events/CPU second = 264440.77 (with animation)

Our big models are also a lot faster.