Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparing Previous MU Attributes

Hi All,

I'm trying to simulate parts that are getting cut on a processor. Each part has a different processing time and some have different thicknesses.

Depending on the thickness of the part, a set up is required on the processor to go from a part with thickness 'a' to thickness 'b'. However if a predecessor's part has the same thickness as the next part then no set up is required.

I have created the attribute 'Thickness' for each MU but struggling how to compare the attributes when it comes to seeing whether a set up in required.

Any tips or advice you can provide would be appreciated!

Thanks

Nathan Machon 

10 REPLIES

Re: Comparing Previous MU Attributes

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hi Nathan,

On the Set-up tab you can define which attribute is used to determine if a set-up is needed or not. You should change it from MU Name to User-defined attribute and specify Thickness.

On the Times tab you can specify how the Set-up time is calculated.

Regards,

Gert Nomden
Senior Consultant | Tecnomatix Product Manager
cardsplmsolutions.com

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hi Nathan,

Here is a quick example to show what Gert has just said. 

Regards

Ollie

Oliver MacFarlane
Simulation Engineer
web: www.simsol.co.uk
e-mail: oliver.macfarlane@simsol.co.uk

Thank you for your quick response Gert.

I have tried this way but just cant manage to set it so that no set up time is needed for parts that have the same thickness as each other, for now my program has a set up time for every part even if it follows a part with the same thickness

I'm not sure if I am explaining this particularly well, does this make sense?

Thanks,

Nathan

Thank you for your response Ollie,

Unfortunately I only have version 11 so cant open your attached file! Smiley Sad

Regards,

Nathan

Solution Partner Phenom

Nthan,

Can you upload your model or a part of it?

Gert Nomden
cardsplmsolutions.com

Solution Partner Genius

Hi Nathan,

Sorry about slow reply I was in a meeting.

Here is the same model but in V11. It also includes MUs entering which don't need setting up as you mentioned in a previous post.

Regards

Ollie

Oliver MacFarlane
Simulation Engineer

Thank you Ollie that works spot on!

Pardon my ignorance, but could you please possibly explain how it knows not to do a set up time with parts with the same Thickness, I've had a look at your model and cant quite see how it works to meet that criteria.

Thanks a lot again!

Nathan

Solution Partner Phenom

Nathan,

That part is handled automatically if AutomticSetup is active (default: yes). The object stores the current set-up (Simtalk: isSetupFor) and compares it with the MU that tries to enter.

The set-up behaviour can be configured in many more ways than just this example. You would probably want to calculate the set-up time based on the difference between the current and new thickness. You can do this by selecting Formula for the Set-up time on the Times tab

Regards,

Gert Nomden
cardsplmsolutions.com

Solution Partner Genius

Hi Nathan,

The model knows not to do setup on parts with the same Thickness because under the Setup Tab of the Single Proc I have selected Set-up depends on: User-defined Attribute. I have then typed the attribute I want the SingleProc to look at, in this case it is Thickness.

Therefore when a MU enters the SingleProc it will check the Thickness Attribute and see if it has changed since the last MU entered. If it has it will do Set-up, otherwise it will continue straight onto Processing.

You will see in the schedule I have given all the MUs the Thickness attribute (double click on Att for each line). 

The only issue you might have is that the User Defined Attribute HAS to be a String attribute, which is why the Thickness attribute is a string and not a real number as it is in reality.

Does that make sense?

Ollie

Oliver MacFarlane
Simulation Engineer