Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuous empirical distribution

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dear community members,

I performed an analysis of customers inter-arrival times for my case and I have a list of 196 observations (each observation is the inter-arrival time between 2 customers). I used the data fit tool but no distribution fits the data. Then I’m trying to use an empirical continuous distribution.

The problem is that I should define the number of classes, the upper bound and the lower bound of each class.

I thought I could use as classes the same that the data fit creates (picture below)

temporaneo.PNG

It actually tells me that I could use 14 classes, but what about the lower and upper bound of each class?

Do you have any suggestion on that?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Continuous empirical distribution

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Alessandro,

I'd recommend to choose for the boundaries the mid value of the intervals:

0, (210+350)/2, ~56

(210+350)/2, (350+490)/2, ~31

Regards,

Ralf
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Ralf,

thanks for your reply.

I just saw that in the tab "evaluation" there is "frequency table".  This is the view

temporaneo.PNG

I guess it is the way the Datafit divided the input data, along with the the frequencies. Is this good for the empirical distribution? I mean, can I just insert these data instead of doing the calculation you suggested before?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Right, this is the better choice, since you can just copy these values.

Regards,

Ralf
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution.

Creator
Creator

Mr. @RalfTobel 

I'm facing a similar situation, I have different samples of failures times, I used the Data Fit Tool to find a data distribution, but many of my samples don't feet to any, so I need to use several empirical distributions. Here is the question.

¿Has a simulation model reliability when it uses several empirical distributions?

I think the problem is in my data samples because even analyzing and doing an exercise where I eliminate the outliers, the sample doesn't feet to any distribution.

Regards

Antonio