Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control of production line

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi 

Unfortunately I don't have any experience in the following area. 

I know that I can control the number of parts produced by the sources by setting the intervalls.

I would like to implement a production line, which adapts to the demand of the market, so that I control the production "from the other side". The idea is, that I create a variable with the number of the demand of assemblied products per day e.g. 200 assemblied tables. Now the drain should order these 200 tables from the shop floor area "Assembly", which also requests the number of needed parts for the 200 tables from the shop floor area "Manufacturing" and so on.

My first idea was to use the kanban control and tools in plant simulation, but it's the first time I work with this tool. I don't know how I can tell the drain, to order these 200 tables.

I hope that someone has a suggestion to solve the problem. 

Thank you.

student_ethz

4 REPLIES

Re: Control of production line

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hello student_eth,

Basically, you can create those production orders with a Source. For interval choose one day (1:00:00:00). Choose MU Selection: Random and check Generate as batch. You also need to specify a table that contains your demand data, i.e. how often a certain daily amount occurs.

For example:

.MUs.Entity; 80; 200; MyProduct

.MUs.Entity; 20; 250; MyProduct

The Source will trigger once per day, randomly select one of the rows in the table and create all the MUs at the same time.

If you should probably add a buffer with infinite capacity after the source (-1) so that you can also count the number of units to be produced in the system.

The approach is a bit blunt, but effective.

Regards,

Gert Nomden

Gert Nomden
Senior Consultant | Tecnomatix Product Manager
cardsplmsolutions.com

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Gert Nomden

Thank you for your reply. My test models seem to be working so far with your suggestion.

But since I want to apply the pull philosophy with a kanban control strategy I wanted to use the kanban library. Is it possible to insert that table you suggested in the last KanbanSingleProc, so that this objects pulls the needed entities respecting the desired demand? That would also be a leaner solution, because I have a lot of different parts at the beginning of the production line.

Regards

student_ethz

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hi student_eth,

Then I think I have found a trick that you may like: on the dialog of the KanbanSingleProc go to the Advanced tab and click Open Workplace. Then you enter the underlying basic object (which is a SingleProc), of which you can change the time behavior. If you enter 432 seconds for the Cycle time, you will process 200 items in 24 hours. With the help of a Generator object, you can change this value every 24 hours.

Kanban systems are intended for systems with stable demand. I think the library is a reflection of this, it seems that the KanbanSingleProc always tries to produce items, irrespective of the actual demand. To learn more about the objects you can check the Help-pages and inspect the example models: Start page>Example models>Small Examples>Discrete material flow>Kanban systems.

Regards,

Gert Nomden

Gert Nomden
Senior Consultant | Tecnomatix Product Manager
cardsplmsolutions.com

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thank you. I will try it this way.

Regards

student_eth