Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create/Import PickandPlace Robot from External Source (NX)

Legend
Legend

Hi all,

I want to import the 4 Fanuc robot models from NX11 (JT format) to my plant simulation model which

is based on the real physical work assembly.

In the 'small' exercise model I attached, I import one of the Fanuc robots, however it does not move.

I see the graphic structure of the individual part of the robot.

I could find how TX handles the robot movements.

I searched the Forum on this topic as I expected somebody else to have done similar.

If there is any reference example on this topic, please let me know.

Best regards

Marco

18 REPLIES

Re: Create/Import PickandPlace Robot from External Source (NX)

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

First of all, in order to get a PickAndPlace in Plant Simulation to do some kinematics, you first need to build up an animatable object structure.

There a several possible structures that are supported:

1. A monolithic robot or a robot with a fixed base: Those two hardly do any sophicisticated animation, so I'll just skip them.
  2. A triaxial robot: The robot is built with a fixed base and two arms that are able to reach any point within a certain space. A triaxial robot will not take any orientation of MUs into account.
  3. A triaxial robot with a spherical joint. Like before, but the forth "axis" is used as a spherical joint that allows to also adjust to every MU orientation in space. A spherical joint here is a bit of abstraction and might look a bit unrealistic in its behavior.
  4. A pentaxial robot: The basic three axis correspond those of the previous two robot types but now there are two additional arms that are able to reach most typical MU orientation (but not all! There are orientations that might look a bit odd in use).

Now, you build an animatable object structure similar to how you build a frame hierarchy (from a logical point of view):

Select the graphic that corresponds an animatable object and everything that is moved along with it. You might have to group/ungroup your graphics beforehand - if the graphics directly come from a CAD system, this is very probable.

In your case, the first candidate might e.g. be most of the node "R_2000iC165R_001" (open the graphic structure dialog of your PickAndPlace for a better look.

It is important that you have the object opened in a 3D view and that you select one single node (with whatever content in it). A "node" in this context is something that corresponds to an icon with a grey cube in the graphic structure dialog.

Now open the context menu for that node (in the 3D view) and click on "Make Animatable Object". Change the object position in the dialog until the white crosslines point to the desired center of rotation of the arm of your robot.

Confirm that dialog and open the created animatable object in an own new 3D view. You will see that the animatable object shows its being selected with a darker green that the yellowish green with which you see that for your initial graphic.

Do that from (logical) top to bottom for every arm you need:

First you will probably need a Z axis arm, then probably two Y axes and then, depending on your type of robot to be created, either a spherical joint or a Y and finally a Z axis. With each additional animatable object you create, keep some graphics outside the next new animatable object.

Before you do this, it might be useful to take one of the preconfigured PickAndPlace objects (either the standard one of one of the two .s3d files that can be used with the "Exchange Graphics" command) and analyze their structure. It is a bit difficult to describe this in words - but I think, a look at the structures will help you more.

After you have modeled the animatable object structure with probably three to five animatable objects, you need to configure which animatable object actually holds an MU that is transferred (probably the last one). For that, open the 3D properties dialog and enter the relative path from the PickAndPlace down to the animatable object in question into the attribute "Animation Object" on the MU animation property page. That might e.g. be a path like "Z.Y1.Y2" or "Z.Y1.Y2.Y3.Z" or whatever the names of your animatable objects are.

(Almost) Finally (I know this is a lot to do but that is unfortunately a result of the fact that the topic behind this is a bit complex), define an animation point in the 3D properties dialog of the animatable object that holds the MU: In that dialog, go to the MU animation property page, click on "Add", enter a name and visualize the created animation path (of one single point so far). Move the point to where the MU shall be attached to the robot. (Actually) Finally, in the 3D properties dialog of the PickAndPlace, define the MU side to attach on the MU animation property page. That setting defines where an MU is picked by the robot.

Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution

Legend
Legend

Hi Peter,

thanks for your reply.... A lot of info to digest.

So I returned to the previous model (attached) with the standard pickandplace and I try to understand how this works.

I can disassemble this robot into its individual parts (Each time: Open in new 3D window, etc...)

As example, I checked the setup of the ...PickandPlace.Z.

This is the complete robot which should be able to rotate 360degrees, as it does the orientation to pick the part at the individual devices (Buffer / Singleproc).

The 'Edit' 3D properties:

- The transformation is used to move the whole unit on the support.

- The MU animation is not concerned here.

- The self animation part does not tell me anything about the angle it can rotate. I expect this part to be the one.

- The graphics just show me the structure again.

Where it the rotation range defined ?

Best regards

Marco

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You do not define a rotation range, at least not in general.

You can restrict a PickAndPlace regarding its rotation around the Z axis by setting a blocking angle (you can find this in the object dialog of the robot (right click->Open or double-click on the PickAndPlace itself). The blocking angle is an angle that the robot must not pass over. This allows you to control the rotation direction of the robot. Apart from that, a PickAndPlace always tries to animate a "minimal movement route", so to say. Since version 13.1, a PickAndPlace also offers robot arm animations (3D properties dialog of the PickAndPlace itself) which basically are a list of points in space the MU on the robot shall pass. These robot arm animations are typically there to allow avoiding collisions or to beautify the animation.

Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution

Legend
Legend

Hi Peter,

I found a similar discussion on this topic (3D Animation of Robot (PickandPlace).

On ‎11-15-2016 04:16 AM you responded to sisg:

The reason for you not finding self animation entries is simple: there are none, the arm animation of robots is a built-in functionality.

Now, if you want to rebuild such animations yourself, I would first suggest that you reduce the conditions you have to consider as far as possible - simply to make life easier: doing robot arm animations yourself is pretty tricky, which is why we included them in the core software in the first place.

That means we have to ask Siemens to help up make the NX11 models of our Fanuc robot move.

Best regards

Marco

Phenom
Phenom

Marco,

no, you do not necessarily have to ask Siemens about getting  the 6 axis fanuc robot moving

There are several publications about 3D 6 axis robots kinematics, which can be

taken over and implemented through simtalk

Phenom
Phenom

Marco,

here's a little example of a singleproc / 6 axis robot  with a 100% "SIMTALK" control.

Unbenannt.png

Legend
Legend

Hi,

is there any post I refer to ?

Regards

Marco

Phenom
Phenom

for a start look here.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Plant-Simulation-Forum/Few-queries-in-3D-animations/...

details for the 6 axis invers kinematics you can get

from the internet.

Phenom
Phenom

Marco,

here is another example of the 6 axis "SIMTALK" control

for Comau's  new 6 axis eDo robot.

Unbenannt.png