Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating new objects

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator

Hi!

Me and my partner have been tasked for our thesis work to create a digital model of a small plant used for educational purposes. In addition to that we've been asked to create a new library with all the hardware found in the plant in order to make it easy for students and teachers to recreate different scenarios within the plant. The catch is that they want the hardware to look as close to the real thing as possible. Currently we are facing two problems that we cant figure out how to solve. The first is to make a new conveyor tool that allows the user to do the same thing as the built in one does but with other graphics. 

The second is regarding exchanging the graphics of the PickAndPlace robot and can be found here:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Plant-Simulation-Forum/Change-3D-animation-and-graph...

If anyone could help out it would be much appreciated

4 REPLIES

Re: Creating new objects

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

About the new conveyor:

(I will address the sub-topics one by one)

1. I assume you want to create a new class based upon the existing Conveyor. To do that, go to the class library, expand the folder MaterialFlow, then open the context menu of the object Conveyor (or Line if you are working in an older version), and select Duplicate or Derive. The different between the two commands is that Duplicate will cut all inheritance chords towards the newly created class so that no change whatsoever in the copy origin will affect the new class, and Derive will not. For more details, I suggest to read about the Plant Simulation inheritance concept for more details. To be on the safe side, select Duplicate although that will create the larger model.
  2. To give your new conveyor class another visual representation, it depends what exactly you want to do. Conveyors are, as a couple of other objects, length-oriented objects and normally, their representation depends on a curve that you typically will define when you instantiate such an object.
    1. If you want to have another representation that depends on the curve (which I would suggest regarding the later understandability of the model), you can open the 3D properties dialog (after having read the other thread, I suppose, you are working in 3D) of the new class, and then experiment with the conveyor types on the Appearance page.
    2. If, on the other hand, you want to modify the graphics by importing graphics from a file, add a new graphic group (3D properties dialog, page Graphics), open the conveyor class in a new 3D window and import the graphics into the newly created graphic group. You can then switch off the visibility of the default graphic group if you do not want to see the automatically generated graphic at all. Alternatively (but I would not recommend it - again: Keep the model understandable!) ), you can remove the length orientation of the new class (this depends on the class having been created with Duplicate, or having its inheritance cut afterwards) in 3D via SimTalk with pathToMyClass._3D.removeLengthOrientation. Then, you can just import into the default graphic group.
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator

Thanks for the answer!

However this only semi-solves the problem. What I am after is to create a whole new conveyor tool that behaves as the default one but instead of the black and blue conveyor frame, I'd like to be able to replace that with a completly new graphic look of my choosing. Is this possible to do without major programming skills?

Best regards

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

This is the attempt I sketched in 2.1 - the extrusion configuration would be the attribute to use when it comes to defining conveyor graphics like built-in conveyors do.

Regarding the major programming skills: This depends on what you want to achieve. There is no easy answer. There certainly are easier tasks around 3D graphics than defining a well-looking extrusion configuration but it is possible and there are quite a few people who managed to do this.

You can read and write the attribute by accessing _3D.ExtConfiguration. I typically recommend the following attempt:

1.Create a new conveyor (just instanciate one of the predefined ones, for instance)

2.Fiddle around with the extrusion configuration on the appearance page and examine the result. There is quite detailed documentation about this attribute in the help.

3.Examine the ExtConfiguration attribute that led to the different visualizations. (my typical way is to add a line with "debug" after having read the attribute and then looking at the table from the debugger)

4.Change the attribute according to your needs.

The thing here is that in my experience, a look at both the ExtConfiguration table and the resulting graphics brings you more insight than dry lecture although that is what should finally explain to you which properties can be changed in what way.

Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution

Phenom
Phenom