Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current scope for 3D

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello All,

I hear constantly that 3D is/was not used so prominently in Plant SImulation since it is considered more for its appealing Visualizations rather than modelling. I just want to gain more insight about how the present situation is in 3D and where is the Curve headed? Someone from Siemens giving insights would be really helpful in this regard. Personally, I love to work in 3D and I can say that 3D is picking up but not as much as I would like it to. So, how often do you use 3D? And how beneficial is it for you personally? Would you,now or in the near future, want to model in 3D?

Thank you so much for your time. I look forward to the interesting discussion.

Regards,
Simpulse

16 REPLIES

Re: Current scope for 3D

Phenom
Phenom

to where exactly would you like Plant simulation 3D to pick up to  ?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I would probably like it to pick up to the stage where it would be possible to consider using 3D not just for its high detailed visualizations but also during modelling. When 3D is not used just for Visualization purposes but also for core modelling. I am no expert in 3D or in Plant SImulation, but I would love to gain insights from the experts like you or the People in this Group.

With the Planungsansicht in Plant SIm 13, Point Clouds, augmented reality (For example, More3D, seen at the User Conference), to be able to select between only 2D, only 3D or both during modelling, I can only say it is an amazing tool and amazing to work with in 3D.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
And when I said 3D is not picking up as much as I would like it to, I meant the usage of 3D.
It was not about the current Features in 3D. Smiley Happy

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hello.

I find that we (me and the people who work with Plant Sim around me) use 3D a lot, we often build multi layered models where you got lots going on for modeling large conveyor systems and the only real way to model this is to have the 3D viewer open or else you find it hard to select the correct object most of the time.

We started to produce models like this as it is easier for our customers to see a 3D model of their system instead of a 2D model with conveyor lines all over the place to stop them from overlapping. To accommodate working with 3D and working on multiple layers we have developed a few extra features into various items to help us to produce our models and use our models, most of which was shown at the user conference this year.

James Mason

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello Mr. Mason,

That was a really interesting insight to 3D. I agree completely about the ease of Understanding of the Customers. Could you please tell me which Presentation it was at the User Conference? Also, how have you been able to cope with large amount of 3D Data? Has this affected the Performance of your Models?

Best Regards,
Simpulse

Gears Phenom

Hello

The presentation was 'Plant Simulation - A Control Partners Story' and included pictures of some of the models we have produced as well as displaying a model and some of the various elements we have worked on.

Currently we are working on a model and have just checked and there is 702 objects in the frame (i think all have 3D data) and it is not running to badly, is a bit laggy here and there but that is more than likely due to my code than anything else.

JamesM

Legend
Legend

I'm very interested to this topic.
We're trying to have our plants modelled in 3D, but we have a lot of issues due to performance problems. Unfortunately in my models there is a lot of code which probably slow down the performance.

Could you say how much bigger are your single 3D file? Your pc is very performing?

I suppose is not possibile see a small example? A video maybe?

Regards
Alessio

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Any Chance that you could share the presentation? Would be really interesting and helpful.

And also about your model,
Do you use JT Files often?
If so, do you use the optimization algorithms from Plant SImulation for the optimization of JT files or do you have your own optimization techniques?

Simpulse

Gears Phenom

Hello

We have run into a few issues and am starting again to quickly rebuild the model and hopefully in the process find out what the issues are.

The original model in all was 13mb large with no external graphics at all. So far we have been working with the built in graphics and where possible have been building our own 3D graphics within plant sim and not relying on any external graphics. I want to work more on creating our own internal graphics, for example a camera station graphic that can be used on a single proc to make our models more easy to understand by our customers when they see them.

I know for previous years I managed to find a list of all of the presentations given at the user conference where they could be downloaded as a PDF file, I am not to sure if this is the case yet for this years user conference, if so then you should find the presentation amungst them (without the demo of course).

JamesM