Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging expressions in 12.1 using SimTalk 1.0

Legend
Legend

Hello,

I've found it impossible to use the debugger to debug expressions and variables when using SimTalk 1.0 in Plant Simulation 12.1. Please step through the attached model and look at the variables and expressions tab of the debugger. When trying to add i and j as debug expressions Plant Simulation returns "Cannot evaluate expression" as error. Tooltips are also not working when holding the cursor over the variables in the code. And for and local are added as variables instead of i and j in the Variables list.

When using SimTalk 2.0, this is not an issue. Assuming that the method is programmed exactly to 2.0 specification. Trying to use a hybrid format (local instead of var for example, which is acceptable format) results in the same errors.

8 REPLIES

Re: Debugging expressions in 12.1 using SimTalk 1.0

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello verbalins,

thanks for reporting this issue.

This will be fixed in the next maintenance pack for version 12.1 (12.1.1).

Regards,

Ralf
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution.

Legend
Legend

Thank you Ralf!

Another question relating to SimTalk 2.0 is the use of the & operator. Previously it was possible to execute a method referenced by a variable like this:

SimTalk 1.0

result := (VariableReferencingAMethod)(ParametersToMethod);

To use the same thing in SimTalk 2.0, I've been forced to do this. 

SimTalk 2.0

result := &VariableRefrencingAMethod.execute(ParametersToMethod) 

Is it the correct way to do it now? I found a lack of help content for the & operator.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Pardon me for the intrusion, what are simtalk 1.0 and 2.0. Is 2.0 a new version of simtalk in Plant Simulation 12? Where can I find further information about?

Thank you,

BD

99 little bugs in the code,
99 little bugs in the code.
Take one down, patch it around.
127 little bugs in the code...

Siemens Phenom

The correct way to do it:

var obj: object := &MyMethod
result := obj.execute(ParametersToMethod)

var obj2: object := &MyVariable
result := obj2.value

Note that obj.execute works exactly like in SimTalk 1.0. This was actually the official way to call the Method referenced by a Variable or a local variable in SimTalk 1.0 too. The parentheses were the old way to do this.

Siemens Phenom

SimTalk 2.0 is the new and improved syntax introduced with Plant Simulation 12.1. The old syntax is called SimTalk 1.0, and of course it still works in Plant Simulation 12.1 and future versions. The Method object now has the built-in attribute 'UsingOldSyntax' that sets if the Method uses old or new syntax.

The main goal for SimTalk 2.0 was to make programming easier, for example by getting rid of the semicolons.

A small example that shows some of the differences:

-- SimTalk 1.0
is
do
    local x : integer;
    if Variable < 100 then
        x := 42;
    end;
end;

-- SimTalk 2.0
var x : integer
if Variable < 100
    x := 42
end

Legend
Legend

So directly accessing it and running the method is not possible? I need to set it to a variable first?

&MyVariable.execute(ParametersToMethod) doesn't seem to work either.

&MyVariable isn't analogous to call by reference like (MyVariable) as explained in the help text under Calling a Method? It's analogous to ref(MyMethod)? In SimTalk 1.0  ref(MyMethod).execute(ParametersToMethod) works though.

Also, shouldn't entering &MyVariable in the Expressions window show MyMethod instead of MyVariable?

Edit: Ok, I get it now. MyVariable.execute is how I should write it...

Siemens Phenom

Of course you can directly access the Variable object.

With my example I wanted to point out, that & replaces the ref(), so you have to write & everywhere you would have written ref(), and only there. So you need to write

MyVariable.execute(ParametersToMethod)

without the &, and

&MyMethod.execute

with the &.

You want to call 'execute' for the object MyVariable references, not for MyVariable itself (which does not understand 'execute').

The same goes for 'MyVariable.value'. If MyVariable points to a Variable, for example to 'Variable42', MyVariable.value would return the value of 'Variable42'. On the other hand '&MyVariable.value' would return the value of MyVariable, which is the object 'Variable42', and not its value.

(Note: You would not ever want to write '&MyVariable.value', because this would be the same as 'MyVariable', which is much simpler.)

Legend
Legend
Yes, thank you Michael. I was getting confused there for a while, but now I see what the problem was.