Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distributed simulation in 12.2

Legend
Legend

Hello everyone,

Encountering an issue when running distributed experiments for 12.2. I've noticed that the simulations on the remote computers are run in the background without possiblity to see what's happening. Is it possible to toggle this behaviour?

5 REPLIES

Re: Distributed simulation in 12.2

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello Verbalins,

If you want to test the remote computer then you can press the Button Test on the tab Distribution. If you use your own computer (localhost) as a simulation machine then you see the Plant Simulation process in the taskbar.

What is your purpose for the investigation the remote process?

Typically, it is not helpful if you see a lot of processes in the taskbar.

Regards,

Peter

Legend
Legend

Hello Peter!

I can understand hiding them from the user when running distributed experiments on localhost. In this case I'm starting the remote instances via RPC on other computers and I want to make sure that they are terminating correctly since for this version they just stop when the simulation is finished without actually reporting back.

Just making sure that they are behaving correctly and using Test here merely tests the ability to start the process?

Legend
Legend
Previously I've set the Plant Simulation Remot Control component service to identify as another user, effectively hiding the processes and use interactive user if I want to show the processes. If I use interactive user now, only the EventController shows for the started process.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello Verbalins,

You are right, the Test button checks whether the remote process can start and a model can load. This is also a license check.

In a future version it will be possible to adjust whether the Plant Simulation processes are visible during a distributed simulation. This is a reasonable enhancement.

That you can continue to work, I recommend the following change (only for version 12.2 of Plant Simulation and a version 12 of the Experimentmanager):

1. Unlock the Library DistributedSimulation (via context menu: Edit Library Information)

2. Open the method

.Tools.DistributedSimulation.Internal.SimulationMachine.M_CreateRemoteProcess

3. The instruction eMPlant.setVisible(true) in row 15 must be done even if it is not a test.

In other words, you must remove the condition in rows 14 and 16.

Regards,

Peter

Legend
Legend
Thank you so much for your help Peter, that solves it!