Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error while trying to connect to an OPC server

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello 

I am trying to Connect a simple model to an OPC Server. 

I have set the server up using KepServer 

when i try and browse to the server from within the the OPC Interface in Plant Sim i get an error that can be seen in the attached jpg. 

when i connect to the OPC server the server shows the connect to Plant Sim, but when i disconnect it does not drop the connect to the Server. 

I am also unable to see Value update changes in Plant Sim when the Item in the server Changes. 

I have also attached my Simulation Model as well.

Any help with these issues would be greatly appreatied 

Gareth

4 REPLIES

Re: Error while trying to connect to an OPC server

Pioneer
Pioneer

i have now tried connecting to using the SimaticOPC.Net Server as well and the same error occures in the fact that when i click apply with active ticked or i click ok OPCScout show that another connection has been added to the OPCServer. 

is this a common problem?

I am using Plant Simulation Version 12.2. 

I have a the full Professional License with Interface Package. 

i have two presentations from last years User conference that i have followed to the letter but i do not get the correct outcome that is in these presentations. 

If there is any more information that is needed just ask will be happy to provided this. 

Thanks for the help in advance

Gareth

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello Gareth,

attached you will find a PowerPoint presentation. See Chapter 'Pant Simulation Project'.

May be there is one problem: Plant Simulation and OPC server must be the same application type: Plant Simulation 64bit can only run with OPC server as 64 bit application.

Is the OPC server running on the same computer?

Regards

GG

Regards
GG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello GG 

That is the Presentation that i am following through. 

As far as i am aware both of the OPC Servers that i have tried to connect to are both 64bit system. 

the OPC Server i have used have both been on a Virtual machine and also on the same machine as Plant Simulation. 

do you know what the Perameter error is when i try and browers for the OPC Server on my local machine i included a screen shot of the error i get when i brower in my first post. 

Thank you 

Gareth

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello Gareth,

the error is caused by a UI bug in the browse button.

We will fix this in the next maintenance pack.

But you don't need to use the browse button, just enter the correct server name, e.g. 'Autotech.OPCServer.1', 'Kepware.KEPServerEX.V5' or 'SimaticOPC.Net'.

Regards,

Ralf
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution.