Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error - workplace cannot be reached by workers

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Does anybody get this error while modeling worker scenarios in Version 13

"The following objects are located in barred areas and cannot be reached by workers:"

getting this error in the middle of the simulation run for some workplaces.

where as the worker performs at the same workplaces before this error comes

Please suggest if a solution is known

4 REPLIES

Re: Error - workplace cannot be reached by workers

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I assume that your whole simulation (or at least a large part in which workers shall walk) is surrounded by a graphic.

We changed the behaviour of barred areas from version 13.0.0 to 13.0.1.

Could you please update your Plant Simulation version and check whether that problem is still present?

Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution

Getting this error in V13.0.1.
Was not getting this in V13.0
Have a 2D layout in the environment. Also getting the error after turning of the visibility of the layout
Changing back to V13.0 to confirm if version is a problem

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The visibility of graphics shall actually have no effect on the routing behaviour of workers.

Since the problem probably appeared with version 13.0.1, I think I've got a pretty good guess what happens:

We calculate the obstacles for workers in the simulation. To keep the number of obstacles as short as possible (the simulation needs to run fast, after all), we try to throw away as many obstacles as possible. Therefore, easily structured obstacle contours that surround other obstacle contours totally, remove those other contours.

This is principially a good idea as long as noone tries to build a whole simulation or a complete part of one inside an obstacle which actually happened. Factory wall graphics were amongst the most common causes for such accidental obstacles. Therefore, we fine-tuned the contour removal mechanism by keeping obstacle contours from removing others if they contained a WorkerPool or a Workplace.

This solved two problems:

1. If your whole simulation was inside one giant obstacle, it look on first sight as if your simulation ran well, but actually your simulation ignored all obstacles which leads to an unrealistic simulation. Now the inner obstacles are actually taken into account.
  2. If a part of your simulation was inside an obstacle but you have tried to use a footpath to reach that part (you could pass a whole obstacle that way, after all), the inside of that subsimulation still wasn't reachable which was not that easy to explain. Now you can do that.

I believe you ran into the first problem meaning the simulation in version 13.0.0 only ran because all the obstacles were ignored. What you have to do now (if that assumption is correct, that is) is to check the location of your WorkerPools and Workplaces and to make sure they are outside of obstacle contours.

You can press the 'O' key inside your simulation frame to visualize your obstacles.

Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution

Hello Peter

Thanks for the detailed reponse and insight in the working of plant Sim.

For the immediate need, I switched back to an old version of the model in V13.0. 

May be there was some mistake made in the model during debugging and correction which caused this. 

I selected "obstacle for worker" as "None" for most of the objects on the floor including the layout itself, As collision and interference is not of significance here (Paths are predefined)