Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel Exporting Failure

Creator
Creator

Hi,

I do have a problem with the exporting to Excel. It does not matter if a method the build in menu is used. In both cases a table formated as string containing numbers with a decimal separator (it does not matter the attribute is set to "." or ",") will be exported in a false way.

As long as the numbers have more than 2 digigts behind the separator the export will show the numbers in a wrong way (have a look at the attatched picture.

The Text File Export works fine.

In my case the operating system is german and will use "," as the separator.

Is that a bug or did I missed something in the help files?

Thanks for response.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Excel Exporting Failure

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello Jan,

the decimal separator attribute is only relvant for text files and only for number column type.

What happens here is that Excel tries to be smart and derive the data type from the content of the cell. You should see the same behavior when you enter these values manually.

The only work around is to put a ' in front of the string. This tells Excel to use data type text.

Of the better solution is to store numbers in columns of data type real. Then you will always get the right values in Excel independant of the decimal separtor used in the specific locale.

Regards,

Ralf
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution.

Creator
Creator

Hi Ralf,

this is interesting.

Coping the table manually to Excel works correct.

I just realized, that the separator is missing in Excel if the string value has more than two decimals after the separator (cf. attachment). Any idea where the separator gets lost?

The hint to use a ' is nice. Thank you. I was thinking about rounding real datatypes to 2 decimals before writing it to the table but I could loose relevant information that way.

The thing is that I do need the table as string, because different information is stored in the same column (reals, integers, objects, etc.). This table is kind of a result table, where all interessting simulation information is written to at the end of a simulation run.

Thanks in andvance!

Jan

Siemens Phenom

Does the seperator also get lost if you put a ' in front?

Regards,

Ralf
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creator
Creator

Hi Ralf,

no, the separator stays when a ' is in front (cf. attachment).

Jan

Siemens Phenom

So it's removed by Excel. Just the ' in front to make Excel handle it as text.

Regards,

Ralf

Creator
Creator

Hi Ralf,

thank you very much for your help. In my opinion the topic can be closed

Jan