Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Factory CAD to Plant Simulation

Legend
Legend

Hello everyone, 

I was wondering if we can import a Factory CAD plan to Plant Simulation ? 

It is possible to make Plant Simulation recognize the conveyors drawn on the Factory CAD object ? 

Thank you very much

O.C 

6 REPLIES

Betreff: Factory CAD to Plant Simulation

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello ocsim,

in earlier versions of Plant Simulation we supported the SDX interface. This interface could be used to export data from FCAD and import them into Plant Simulation.

But this interface is no longer supported.

May be you can export the CAD data from FCAD and import them into Plant Simulation as a background picture. Currently i'm not sure which file format will be supported by FCAD.

Could you please explain in more detail what your expectations are?

Hope this will answer your question.

Regards

GG

Regards
GG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution

Legend
Legend
Hello GG,
Thank you for your comment.
I drew a logistic platform on Factory CAD and I'd like to import the plan on Plant Simulation in order to not draw the whole plan (conveyors, tracks ...) again ! I tought there is a bridge between Factory CAD and Plant Simulation which makes Plant recognize all the conveyors.

Thank you very much !
O.C

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

The bridge between a layout done in FCAD and Plant sim is the JT file.

You can export JT files from FCAD and import them into Plant Sim, but as Guido explained this will not keep layout positioning.

cortega@interlatin.com.mx
+52 (81) 10801310
InterLatin S de RL de CV

Phenom
Phenom

Generally speaking, the idea to create a

PSi layout from some design system through an interface is not new.

If you map the design objects with psi objects and read the position + orientation from the design objects 

you  basically have the data you need to automatically create a  PSi layout

s. screenshots below from an interface developed 2002Unbenannt01.pngUnbenannt02.png

Legend
Legend
Hello,

I'd to like to thank all of you for your comments.
It looks very efficient and elegant, I never heard about the PSI objects before.
But normally if I gather the whole data I need from Factory CAD then I can create an algorithm to draw the whole conveyors base the layout data (x,y,z,length,width ...)

BR
O.C

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

FCAD allows for 2 different export types which you find in FCAD Tools: JT exports the graphics - whole scene or selected elements. SDX (Simulation Data Exchange) exports simulation relevant data, including type, position, and many more for each FCAD object in XML format. From this you could - as was mentioned - build up the simulation model automatically. You need to write a parser that goes through the XML data, and you need to provide Plant Simulation objects for each type of FCAD object.

With DATAEXTRACTION this would be even possible for pure ACAD objects.

BTW: I presume that PSi stands for "Plant Simulation"?

Ralph