Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GA Allocation Problem

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I have a need to optimally allocate a list of orders to machines. Also, some dependencies exist for the sequence of orders i.e. classical resource-constrained scheduling problem. Can GA Allocation help solve this? I only see a couple posts on the forum regarding GA Allocation and I don't fully understand the small example model Tools > Genetic algorithms > Multiple optimizations.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Re: GA Allocation Problem

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello,

there are two basic elementary optimization tasks. An allocation task can be the determination of the value of the capacity of a buffer. The model parameter is root.Buffer.capacity. Press the Shift key and Drag & Drop the Buffer onto the GAWizard and select the attribute capacity. The second kind of optimization tasks is the determination of a sequence, the elements of which can be defined in a Tablefile object. The mentioned small example shows the sequence of the Delivery list of a Source object. The combination of a value of the capacity (i.e. 2) and a sequence of the Delivery list is a Solution. The GAWizard evaluates such a solution by simulation. In the example the so-called Fitness is the weighted sum of the throughput time (Eventcontroller.simTime) and the capacity. We want to find model parameters (both capacity and the sequence) with a minimal Fitness. After the optimization with 20 generations and 50 individuals a solution with a small capacity of 2 and the best sequence T1, T2, T3, T4, T5, T6, T7, T8, T9, T10 is found. The throughput time is very good since the sum of setup times of the station S1 is minimal. The Fitness is a random variable since the processing time of the other station S2 is exponential distributed. Therefore, an optimum cannot be determined, but an approximate solution can be found. In practice, approximate solutions are sufficient.

Regards,
Peter