Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gantt Wizard

Experimenter
Experimenter

So I've got the Gantt Wizard working and potentially it looks like a very powerful tool. It can build a Gantt chart in seconds that would take me days to build in MS Project.

The problem is the output format - there doesn't seem to be much capacity for changing the format of the Gantt chart. For example, when I select "Resources" view, it orders the resources in a strange way and there seems to be no option to change the order manually. Also, the text printed in the Gantt bars is the Resource when I'd like it to be the MU.

Also, it would be nice if there was a way to export the data into MS Project so I could manipulate it there.

Does anyone have any knowledge about the subject or know who I can ask technical questions to?

4 REPLIES

Re: Gantt Wizard

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello Juliannash,

there is no direct export to MS Project, but you can export the displayed data to a text file.

All displayed data are contained in two tables, which are the attributes DataTable and SettingsTable of the basic object of the GanttChart.

You can use the following SimTalk code:

local tab:table := GanttWizard.GanttChart.dataTable;
tab.writefile("C:\temp\GanttBars.txt");
tab.sort(3,"up");
GanttWizard.GanttChart.dataTable := tab;
GanttWizard.GanttChart.active := true;

The example shows also how you can modify the sequence of the shown bars, for instance, according to the start date time.

In the SettingsTable you can modify the color of the bars.

Regards,

Peter

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you Peter for the pragmatic solution.

On the positive side, I have managed to extract the data to a text file as guided, and I have managed to import the data into MS Project. So this is a big step forward!

On the negative side, a lot of important data does not get exported from Tecnomatix - crucially, the inter-dependancies between tasks, and the resource quantities working on each task. You can see in the attached screenshot that the Gantt in MS Project is not "knitted together" with interdependancies, so I would have to add these manually (time consuming).

If Siemens were going to develop the Gantt Wizard further, I would like to see a lot more versatily in the Gantt Wizard in terms of the data that is available and can be exported. And in a perfect world, I would like to see a direct export tool into MS Project - this would be very useful indeed.

Thank you for your help.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hi juliannash,

MS Project is also able to export and import XML-files. This way you can keep the precedence constraints. So if the input to Plant Simulation could be such an XML-file, all you would have to do is update it with the "real" simulation figures.

Regards,

Gert Nomden

Gert Nomden
Senior Consultant | Tecnomatix Product Manager
cardsplmsolutions.com

Creator
Creator

Is the Gantt Wizard being actively developed? Feels like nothing happend in this regard for years. Is there a plan down the road for Version 13 maybe?