Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to model a Power and free Conveyor System

I am looking to model a power & free conveyor system.  Has anyone had sucess modeling this type of system?  Would like the ability to model dog spacing (fixed interval), bias bank path, trias bank path, etc.

Thanks,

Brian

13 REPLIES

Re: How to model a Power and free Conveyor System

[ Edited ]

Hello, @Bebo.

You could use a Line for each segment that has a stop-device. E.g. if you have 10 points where the carried part can be stopped, you use 10 Line segments. You can set segments' Capacity to 1, if the previous part can only be moved when the successor is free. Then, if you have failures on your carrying system, you should use a LockOutZone that includes all the segments that have the same engine/chain.

Can that help you?

Regards,

BD

99 little bugs in the code,
99 little bugs in the code.
Take one down, patch it around.
127 little bugs in the code...

I really would like to model the aspect of the dogs (fix intervals) on the conveyor.  The other software I use give parameters to input chain speed, dog spacing (fixed intervals), accumulation distance, stopping and moving space, etc.  We are using this model to perform an emulation/virtual comission and would like to have a model which reflect the real world as close as possible.  

On the Attributes tab of the Line object you can set most of the parameters you mention. By using multiple Line objects and sensors, you can model sections with different behaviors, like junctions, stops and accumulation.

Gert Nomden
Senior Consultant | Tecnomatix Product Manager
cardsplmsolutions.com

I see the attributes to change except for dog spacing(fixed interval).  Do you know if there are any plans in the future to add this functionality?

I think you refer to the "MU distance type" and "MU distance". They exist already.

And you can also use the Cycle time attribute (Times tab) to admit MUs to the system at fixed intervals.

Gert Nomden
cardsplmsolutions.com

This is not the same functionality of how a power and free system works. It is a chain with "dogs" that engage the carrier.

For example:

10 carriers are traveling on a chain. The dogs are spaced at 5ft, but the carriers are 20 ft long. The carrier is engaged by the chain from the dog. When the carriers are traveling on the chain, there is spacing maintained between the carriers. However, when the carrier disengages the dog at a stop the carriers will accumulate and disengage with the chain dog. In the actual system, it is a physical lever that is engaged when the carriers run into eachother. 

When the carrier in front is able to continue traveling, it will re-engage the chain by grabbing a dog and then continue. The successive carriers will do the same and then the gap between them will be maintained as they are traveling. 

Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rih_SJqUuIA

- 2:23 explination, comparing to "cars traveling on a load"

- 5:19 demonstration of carriers traveling on chain; notice how there is a delay for the carrier to be engaged by the next dog traveling on the chain

- 6:16 you can see the dogs here. When the carrier is disengaged from the chain. You can see that it cannot be re-engaged until another dog is available

- 6:24 you can see how the carriers accumulate when the are pushed into eachother. Notice how when the front carrier is re-engaged, the rear carrier re-engages, but because of the spaced dogs the space between the carriers is maintained.

Here is another video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHmWHKGRJXc

- 0:42 shows the chain disengaging 

- 2:07 shows an accumulation of 2 carriers

Final video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y8inHBnXbE

- 0:30 you can see the delay that occurs when a carrier is transfered from one chain to another

I have no idea how to do this in PS. I know AutoMod and FlexSim has this "Dog Spacing" or as AutoMod calls it, "Fixed Interval."

Would love to know how to do this in PS though. Power and Free is a common application in the US. I'm not sure how much it is used in Europe. I'm guess that it's not as prevalent since its not considered in PS.

@EMM, fhanks for your extensive explanation!

As far as I can see it depends on how and where a queue dissolves.

So, you have a piece of track with a stopper at point x. And it is active, so we got an accumulation of n items (1 is at the front at x). Now we deactivate the stopper completely and after some delay item 1 starts moving again at x. The question is whether item 2 to n start moving at a point before x or not (I suspect the queue gets "eaten" from the front backwards, like a traffic jam).

The alternative for the Line object (which may be precise enough in many cases!) is to use Transporters and a delay before they start driving again from a jam.
Gert Nomden
cardsplmsolutions.com

Hi,

I have the same question as yours. Did you solve it or get any idea to show the Power and Free system in PS?

Thanks!

Hi,

Same question as yours! Did you find a way to solve them? Is bias bank and dog achievable in PlantSimulation?

Thanks!