cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal HTML Window

Phenom
Phenom

Hello all.

I am starting to do more and more using the HTML window through generating my own html code, now I am starting to get to more advance stuff (like interacting to the model through it) I was wondering what is the internal HTML browser based around? Have checked and from the looks of it, it dose not match any other browser that I have pre installed.

More importantly I want to know what version of html will work with it? From experiance new html5 statments do not work at least.

James M

8 REPLIES

Betreff: Internal HTML Window

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Dear James,

We use the system provided HTML view control based on the runtime library MSHTML. Other applications like MS Outlook use this "component", too. Even the Internet Explorer seems to use this "component".

The HTML report requests to use the most current document mode by a HTML header meta element. So the question about the the supported version of the HTML standard depends on the system Plant Simulation is running on and on the installed or registered MSHTML runtime library.

The HTML report uses HTML5 and CSS 3.0 and should always produce validatable HTML/CSS source code.

From my experience, some HTML5 is not available - in opposite to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Or it behaves a bit different - like always, like years.

Any more questions?

Best regards,

Martin Lemburg

Martin Lemburg

Siemens PLM Software
Digital Factory Division
Product Lifecycle Management
Manufacturing Engineering Software / R&D / Plant Simulation
Siemens Industry Software GmbH, Berlin / Germany

Betreff: Internal HTML Window

Phenom
Phenom

Hello and thank you for your quick reply.

Thanks to your pointer, have found the line of HTML code that I was missing to enable the features I wanted. 

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge"/>

('edge' relates to the highest possible running mode for IE your system has)

Using this I can get shadows around objects through CSS and also can use number input fields to restrict the users input.

To give a bit of a background, I am instead generating the HTML code myself through methods and then running it that way to create highly adaptable and lightweight pages as needed (or at least thats the plan), so was missing that from my generated HTML code.

As for the quick comment at the bottom, yes there is still some things missing. Chrome for example when adding a min and max value to a number input box will turn it into a numerical up/down box and will limit it appropriately, while Internet Explorer will not. At least I got Plant Sim to now act the same as Internet Explorer with that line of code from above which is a great improvement from before.

James Mason

Re: Internal HTML Window

Phenom
Phenom

Hello again

Have been managing to do some interesting stuff using forms so I can input data into Plant Sim in a nice format, but so far it has been through using the GET method on the forms and then processing the string that it returned to the form, which is making some methods I am writing extreamly unmaintainable.

Is there a way to get POST to work with Plant Sim as so far in my experiments I have not succeeds.

For reference, I managed to get the GET method working by using the following when building up the html code, where 'HTML_AddItem' is my method that handles the data.

"<form action=\"SC_CallMethod:", self.~, ".HTML_AddItem|\">"

JamesM

HTTP POST request Was: Re: Internal HTML Window

Siemens Genius

Dear James,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your question!

And I'm sorry, but Plant Simulation currently only processes GET requests and ignores POST requests - more correct: should return a 501 HTTP error code.

And currently it is not planned to extend the HTTP server capabilities.

Best regards,

Martin Lemburg

Siemens PLM Software
Digital Factory Division

Re: HTTP POST request Was: Re: Internal HTML Window

Phenom
Phenom

Hello.

Ok no problem, have just got working a good solution that advoids using the GET method of comunication.

By using a iFrame element (with it set to not be displayed in CSS) I can then change that to different locations, each location can then be a different SC_Execute command (without the need to worry about return HTML data) meaning you can click a button and comunicate directly with Plant Sim without needing to reload the page at all in the process.

As a lot of this is done through java script, then a form is not even needed as you can directly read the values from the boxes and through storing the values in plant sim and updating them when the text boxes change will remove any issues with character limits.

JamesM

Siemens Genius

Dear James,

Your work sounds quiet interesting to me.
Can you share an example of your work?

And I have another question.

Do you come to the international world wide Plant Simulation user meeting?

If so, your work about using the HTML window, HTML, CSS and JavaScript in combination with SimTalk may be worth a presentation.

If you would mind thinking about this, you should contact Matthias Heinicke (@mh), who is organizing the user meeting!

Happy weekend and best regards,

Martin Lemburg

Siemens PLM Software
Digital Factory Division

Phenom
Phenom

Hello

Am working on another concept model right now to fully show it working so i got a rough template to work from, and can shear this when im done (will remove the more project related concepts of course from it).

I have not attended the User Conferance before byut my college has been before and they have also presented some of the other objects that I have made including stuff like my version of a 3D button, a flexiable lift and cross slider. We asked but have not been allowed to go this year unfornatually.

JamesM

Phenom
Phenom

Hello

Attached you will find the model with 2 examples, the first 1 being in both the GET and then also my more JavaScript based approach, both of which edit a table in the background.

To open them in the internal browser then double click on the frames, to view their code then view the user defined attributes. Have also tested these from a external browser as well and they work from there.

In the end I have moved back to SC_CallMethod to try to advoide putting the logic into the HTML page and instead put it in the Plant Sim model. Also as you can see in the 'OpenMe4' object I have had to create the HTML code dynamically as well in place of regenerating the page when it is refreashed which actually has a good end result, it just means some more data handeling and logic is needed in the HTML page itself to do.

Through doing this a highly customizable and dynamic dialog can be created and can be used, but the amount of time put into doing so is a bit unrealistic for most projects people will be doing so for now this is more an exercise and might feature in a few other elements I am making.

JamesM