Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Objects disepearing in 3D

Phenom
Phenom

Hello all

Someone I work with has been having an issue recently where objects will slowly start to vanish from the 3D model. From checking the model over for them everything seems ok attribute wise but the 3D models themselves appear to be vanishes slowly as they run the model.

This is the first model it has started to happen on, at first we just rebuilt the model when it was much simpler and this solved the issue but now the model is more complex we are not to sure what we can do about it.

Any suggestions anyone aside from rebuild it again?

JamesM

9 REPLIES

Re: Objects disepearing in 3D

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello James,

to be able to start helping you, I think we should know a bit more:

1. In what program are you working?
  2. How do you recognize that 3D objects have vanished? Do you just not see their graphics or are they absolutely inaccessible (e.g. via SimTalk or by opening the 3D properties dialog from the object dialog)?
  3. Are you talking about simulation or animatable objects (or graphics)?

Phenom
Phenom

Hello

Originally occured in V13, now has happened in 13.1

They start to go missing from the 3D view of the frame, when inspecting the objects the 3D data is intact still but the 3D graphics is missing from the objects, making the object invisible in every location it is used in 3D. When checking the graphic objects (in the graphic tree) still exist but any changes to them cannot be seen.

I am talking about any simulation objects, from what I understand of the model it has happened on, no animatable objects have been used.

Right now have realised that if the graphics gets destroyed and recreated then it will reappear, so am going around ensuring that every object's graphics are back to visible again, luckily I dont belive to many custom graphics are in use.

I remember from last time this happened, I did export the graphics to a JT file and then reimported them and the file produced had the same issue, so it might be something to do with the base JT graphics of the objects.

JamesM

Phenom
Phenom

have you checked if the inherited 3d object graphics are switch on to "visible" ?

Siemens Phenom

If not already done, I would advise you to contact GTAC about this.

But simulator has a point, too. That certainly is something worth being checked in advance.

Phenom
Phenom

Hello

I have gone and this morning captured this screenshot for you of one of the Drains in the project as an example. As you can see the graphics are visible and there are graphics within the default graphic group that are not showing. Show External Graphics is on in the 3D viewer.

Invisible Graphics.PNG

I will try to contact GATC about it now but thought I would ask on here first.

JamesM

Siemens Phenom

Actually, this screenshot has been scaled down that much that there is not much left to be seen - but I will try:

Guessing from the colours, I would say that both the object graphics and their visibility of the object to which the dialog belongs, are inherited.

The default graphic group has six graphics which are not subdivided further.

For not seeing anything here, two explanations come to my mind:

1. Either the graphics are too small - if you select such a graphic in the graphic structure dialog and open its properties dialog, you should be able to see this: In version 13, there is the property page "Graphic Settings" that shows you the dimensions of the graphic for which the dialog was opened. In versions before that, you at least should see (and be able to modify) a scaling factor.
  2. Or the graphic is demolished on a per-triangle level - if you press the "Jt" button in the graphic structure dialog, you will see some additional information about the graphics, e.g. probably the string "JtTriStripSet" or "JtAggPrimSet" stating that this is a leaf in the graphics tree and has to contain the actual graphics. Also, there will be a string line -P(...) wherein the number in braces states how many polygons there are. If that number is 0, for instance, this is a pretty good sign that the graphic might have lost data.

Phenom
Phenom

Hello

By clicking on the image it should enlarge it for you, have added this one to be large size and not medium.

Invisible Graphics 2.PNG

From checking both the drain itself and of the rack graphics (as an example of the largest graphic in the object) they have bounding boxes as you would expect. As you can see, a uniform scale of 1 is set to the object.

From checking the JT information as you suggested, they all have a polygon count of over 0.

JamesM

Phenom
Phenom

how about using the graphic optimization function to try to restructure the graphics

Phenom
Phenom

Hello

Just had a quick play with that and it looks to be every setting i try i end up with 1 node and 0 polygons as a result.

As stated before, I found if I delete and recreate the 3D (doing so by toggaling the CreateIn3D flag) then I can get the graphics to appear again, but its more the fact that this is the second time it has started to happen to this model now and it has not yet happened to any of our other models.

As for contacting GTAC about it, have hit a brick wall with creating an account, so might take me some time to do so while I try to gather the 2 codes that are needed to make the account.

JamesM