Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obstacles and Barred Areas not respected by workers

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello everyone,

I am running a simulation model in 3D with workers. The workers can freely move within area and I only send them from one workplace to another using the goTo command. The model is in Plant Simulation 13.

Apart from Workers, there are other objects in the area (the model is originally based on VDA_Powertrain library), such as conveyors, machines etc. Yet, the workers do not respect these object and they alwasy go along the aerial line across the objects. I do not know, what causes that.

I tried to add a Barred Area, yet this is ignored, either.

The way the model is built: I have a root with administration frames (VDA Libraries) and one single frame in which the whole scene is. I tried to build everythin within one frame (root), yet the workers still cross through other objects. The workers as well as the workerpool is standard plant simulation object.

ObstacleCrossed.PNG

Any idea what might be wrong?

Thank you very much!
Best regards,

Jiri Hloska

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Obstacles and Barred Areas not respected by workers

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Jiri,

are the objects that you inserted themselves frames? In this case you could have a look at that post:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Plant-Simulation-Forum/worker-obstacles/m-p/506677#M...

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Igor
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution

Siemens Phenom

When you say, the model is in Plant Simulation 13, do you mean that you also run it in Plant Simulation 13, or has it just been modeled in that version and you are using a newer one now?

(My guesses below base upon the assumption that you also run it in PS13)

1. Could it be that when you visualize the obstacles in the simulation, you only get one large rectangle around everything else?
    If so, disable that obstacle (hopefully, you see where it comes from as soon as you see it) - it throws away any other obstacle situated entirely inside it assuming that they cannot be reached anyway. Later versions (I gue4ss even later maintenance packs for PS13) do that a bit more considerate regarding workplaces etc. inside such an obstacle, creating a "double-obstacle" preventing this optimization to optimize away your simulation.
    Note that invisible graphics also generate obstacles if the obstacle generation rules apply! Starting with, I believe, version 15, there are options to make the obstacle generation visibility-aware.
  2. Is the obstacle setting of your simulation frame "None"? Again, this is something that should have improved in the versions after PS13 and I believe also in later maintenance packs.

A far-fetched idea that might apply to any version: Obstacles don't happen to be bridged by footpaths, do they? This is sort of the couter-feature to manually creating barred areas: Footpaths allow a worker to walk through obstacles. This is useful for cases in which the graphics from which obstacles are calculated are unsuitable for a reasonable resulting obstacle (ofter caused by premature optimization, be it on the simulator's side, be it caused by strange graphics having been imported).

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

thank you for the helpful hints everyone.

Honestly, alghough now I can finally see the obstacles around objects which have to be avoided by workers, I must admit I am still not sure how to set the Graphics - obstacle for workers of the individual frames correctly, so that it works.

Once more, please (sorry for being so tedious) - I have:

- root frame, which contains

- frame with my scene, i.e. objects and workers to be going around them

How should the Graphics of root and how the Graphics of the inserted frame (with the scene) be set, please?

Thank you very much!

Jiri

Siemens Phenom
  1. Set the obstacle setting of your root frame to "Graphics".
  2. If there is nothing in your root frame that is relevant to the worker simulation in your subframe, make sure that in the root frame, the obstacle setting of everything expect the subframe is set to "(None)". (more about that at the bottom)
  3. Set the obstacle setting of your subframe to "Graphics".
  4. Now, within the subframe, set the obstacle setting of the objects and graphics therein to "Bounding Box" if the the object or graphic at hand shall generate one simple obstacle around itself (a box), "Graphics" if you want to generate a more precise obstacle for length-oriented objects or if you want to generate multiple smaller obstacles for an object. The latter case is typical if you've got an object with a decent substructure in which the combination of the smaller obstacles creates a more complex shape when overlaid. For objects that shall not generate an obstacle, typically InformationFlow objects or similar, set the setting to "(None)" - these will be ignored in the calcuation.
  5. For objects and graphics at which you set "Graphics", you can then fine-tune the obstacles by repeating the last step for the objects and graphics in them, say stations in frames, or sub-graphics in any object.

Typically, the objects you get when you create a new model out of the box already bring fairly plausible settings with them so that you usually only need to adjust what does not fit your expectation.

About having to set obstacles in the root frame in your case:

The simulation of workers moving freely works on a root-frame level. That means that there is one single worker path network for the entire root frame, and this means that everything in the same root frame matters to every worker in that frame - this does not even change if you cannot even see anything from the subframes in the root frame if e.g. ShowContent is set to false.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you Mr. Komarek,

this sounds logical, next time I have to be more cautions right from the start of the modelling.

One last thing - some of the conveyor sections in my model are converted into 3D in a rather strange way (see the printscreen below/attached). I modelled everything in PS 13 in 2D first and only finally I opened the 3D viewer.

I am not sure why the 3D geometry was displayd with those "needle-like" curves instead of smooth onves. I am afraid, not only affects it the trajectory of MUs moving along those conveyor sections but also the workers would have to take a large arc path along them to avoid them...

Conveyor_Curve.PNG

Thank you, once again.

Best regards

Jiri

Siemens Phenom

The conveyor you selected and for which you opened the segments table, has a straight segment of length 0. I guess that that is the reason for what you see.

My suggestion would be to change the segments this way:

Before, you had

1. Tangential angle -90°, Length 0m
  2. Tangential angle 0°, Curve angle -90°, Radius 0.22(etc) m

Try to combine those into a single segment with a tangential angle of -90°, a curve angle of -90°, and the radius of the curve segment. The easiest way to do this should be to just enter the tangential angle in the curve segment's line and then to remove the 0m straight segment above.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you for the explanation.

I just created a small test in PS 13 with two segments of conveyor differing from each other only in the length of the direct section (one has no direct section at all, the other one has a direct section of legth 0 m).

It seems that both conveyors are displayed correctly in 3D.

Conveyor_Curve_2.PNG

Best regards

Jiri Hloska