Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plant Sim 14 - Animatable Objects in MU's

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I opened an old model built in 13.1 in 14.0 and there was a lot of graphic errors (objects at wrong angles mostly), when inspecting the issue I found it to be animatable objects within MU's.

I would make and configure a MU within the class library, over half of which would contain an animatable object as part of the graphic either to give me greater control over the position of the MU or to have working clamps or other moving parts within the model.

When the MU is then created within the frame, the base rotation data (_3D.Rotation) would not be carried across for all animatable objects, but If I would go and change the inhertiance of the value in the 3D propties then it would correctly reposition the animatable object and the bug would be fixed for that instance of the MU (or all current instances if it was the one in the Class Library) but would occure again for any new MU created.

I have rebuilt a section of the model using the same method but in 14.0 and it still had the issue, so instead I have built the example model attached to this post which also have the same problem and demostrates a use for when you want to use animatable objects within a MU to position its contents better.

I am using 14.0.0 and yet have not installed any maintance patches.

JamesM

12 REPLIES

Re: Plant Sim 14 - Animatable Objects in MU's

Phenom
Phenom

I have noticed a similar issue loading v13 models to v14.0.1 (s.b.)

The ( inherited) gun is turned by 180 degrees .

If you press the "accept " button it is turned by 180 degrees into the correct orientation.

all inherited values e.g. rotation remain the same !

I assume this is an issue for GTAC

Unbenannt.png

Gears Phenom

Hello,

Yes for me I also have a robot which is a 6 axis robot (using the model provided with Plant Sim) and the 5th axis is out by 90 degrees when you create a new instance of the robot. When you first load the library which contains the model it is much worst but when you change the first axis then it will update the entire model to its correct positions. This one is not too bad as you can fix it and then it remains fixed, as opposed to MU's which are created and destroyed dynamically and anything done to update the values through code will break inhertiance which could be important at times.

As we have got Plant Sim through the UK distributors we do not have direct access to GTAC support, where possible I do not wish to go through filing an issue with their support people if I can help it, but if there is no response by Tuseday then guess I will do so.

JamesM

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

At first I would like you to update to Plant Simulation 14.0.1 - we fixed some issues with the transformation of animatable objects there. If something wrong in that region remains afterwards, I would be curious of reading about what then still is wrong. At the moment, I have no impression what exactly goes wrong and might already be fixed and what still there would be to solve.

Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution

Phenom
Phenom

@ Peter Komarek

here's a v14.0.1.1207 example to underline the posted issues.

The core object of the gun on the stand is pointing into the wrong direction

If you select the properties of the core object  and press "accept" /"übernehmen" button

the core is turned into the right direction.

The inherited orientation data remains untouched

Unbenannt.png

Siemens Phenom

Thanks simulator for reporting this!

I could reproduce and fix this for the next maintenance pack (14.0.2).

I doubt however that this particular issue is related to what JamesM saw.

Gears Phenom

Hello,

Looking at simulator's model from 14.0.1 it is structured the same as mine where it has a MU in the class library when gets created within the frame during the init stage, and this MU contains a animatable object which has rotation data, so hopefully it is similar enough that it should also be an issue.

I am experiancing this on 2 main different cases, 1 is as I originally posted where it is used to position the MU in a carrier better, the other is tools on the end of the robot.

For the latter, I do use nested animatable objects (think of a fixture, I have 1 for where each part will be positioned and then within that I might have multiple animatable objects for moving parts on clamps) so could you please ensure that your fix which will be included within 14.0.2 will also be able to cope with this as well.

JamesM

Siemens Phenom

In my opinion, your second case should already be fixed in 14.0.1.

If not, I would need a model to reproduce this.

Gears Phenom

Hello again,

Now that 14.0.2 has been relased I have got it and tested the model that produced this issue in the past and it still has the same issue. Have also downloaded the model attached to the opening post of this thread and that also includes the same issue when opened with 14.0.2 so you should already have a model avalible to you which produces this issue.

On the model attached to the first post, if you put a .MUs.Carrier onto the line and then a .MUs.Part onto the carrier you will see the part sits at a strange angle. Now if you go into the graphics for the carrier you can then find Z which is an anamitable object, now open the 3D propties for the Z animatable object and click apply and you will see the part on the carrier is now at the correct angle as defined in the class library.

If this same process is done to .MUs.Carrier and not to a child of it then it will affect all children, and not just the single instance of the object, but if you then reset and run the model again it will be back to its broken condition.

As we have highlighted before there is a couple of different use cases for a structure like there where it is an issue, for example a robot with multiple axais or for a clamp bed with multiple positions for parts.

JamesM

Siemens Phenom

I could reproduce this issue and fix it - this will be fixed in Plant Simulation 14.0.3.

Are there further known cases, ideally within the scope of this model?

If so, I can test them one by one. However, in order to do that, I will need a description similarly exact as your last one which was very helpful, by the way!