Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plant Simulation Scheduling/Planning

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have an example model or thoughts on how you could use Plant Simulation on scheduling or planning? For example, shipyards base their start schedule of a new ship off of the current ship being built in the yard and when the different parts of the ship are completed.

The shipyard is just the first example that came to mind but my main question is how would one use Plant Sim as a scheduling or planning tool? How detailed would the model have to be to create accurate dates/results? Are there any out-of-the-box features that could be leveraged to use Plant Sim as a scheduling/planning tool?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES

Re: Plant Simulation Scheduling/Planning

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi,

You will probably build your own methods (and/or combination of objects) to schedule your project at the end of the day.

There are alot of posts on scheduling: 

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&locati...Smiley Tongue

I think for the most part when it come to libraries most companies already have built in-house libraries they use for scheduling. I had a quick look and I was't able to find a single scheduling libarry that could be used for every case, but there is a wharehouse libary with scheduling built in:
https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Downloadables/Plant-Simulation-warehouse-library/ta-...         

In terms of tools:

1. for high-level scheduling there is a ghantt chart (Manage Class Library > Library > Tools > Wizard for Gantt Diagrams)
  2. For part spefific scheuling I have used genetic algorythms before (Manage Class Library > Library > Tools > Wizard for Genetic Algorythms)

I have attched a simple model of scheduling a sequence of production parts. 

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi Armand,

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I went through a couple of those posts when I was first searching but didn't really see anything that was a single solution for all and seemed to be unique cases (which wasn't a surprise).

My first instinct when I started thinking about this were the exact points you mentioned in the custom code/programming, Gantt chart, or the Genetic Algorithims. I don't have a whole lot of experience with Gantt or GA. I think the GA could be the best bet I just need to get more familiar with its capabilities, inputs, and outputs.

As far as getting accurate results in a real life environment for scheduling/planning, one would have to have most, if not all, details of the environment modeled out, correct? However, I guess that also depends on what answer the company is trying to get and what parts of their plant affects that answer.

Solution Partner Pioneer

Yes, it will mostly be coding to fit each case.

Yes, it depents on what they want and how what level of detail you are going to model the process. There has to be at least enough differnce in the system to warrent a scheduling plan. By that I mean that (for example): lets say you have 7 products and an entire system, but it takes all 7 products the exact same amount of time to move through the system. Then a scheduling plan will not have any efefct. Obviously each product has to have some time difference (processing time diffeernce). The GA is the easienst and fatest way to schedule by far, it helps you sequence a list of products in a tablefile in relation to some factor that you minimize or maximise (I usually use either throughput or SimTime for the Event Controller). 

A nice example to help you get started with GA is home page > Example Models > Search "genetic" > take the example that says: " A Short Overview about Genetic Algorythms".

Legend
Legend

do you have this model in 13.1 or lower version. if yes please attach it. I would like to get some reference from it. 

Sachin

Solution Partner Pioneer

I have the newest verion plant Sim and I built it on that -> is there a way to convert to older verions?

Legend
Legend

Thanks for your reply. I dont think we can convert the latest version file to a lower version file. 

Sachin