Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plant Simulation + Teamcenter integration

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Hello,

I have Teamcenter 10.1.5 installed in a 4Tier environment along with a 4Tier rich client.

I also have Plant Simulation 12.2 installed, and have used the XML in the "\Plant_Simulation_12.2_DVD_64bit\Teamcenter Interface\PlantSimulationIntegration\TC10 TEM Package\" folder when installing the integration through the TEM.

I am now attempting to transfer data to/from Teamcenter using the Teamcenter object in Plant Simulation. I have some questions regarding this object:

1. What is the correct "Application Interface Type" to use under the "Connections" tab? I have tried searching the Plant Simulation help file for this but no information is given on what the Application Interface is or what correct values are and how to get/install them.

2. Similar to the above question, under the "Import" tab - what does "Application Interface" and "Sync" mean? Pressing "import" and logging in presents me with a window that is empty on both "Application Interface" and "Sync" to choose from. Where can I find more information on this and how to use it?

3. Under the "Export" tab - Is it only possible to export HTML Reports to Teamcenter from Plant Simulation? I was hoping to export objects such as TableFiles, model files, .obj saved frames etc. Is this possible? I would also like to know where I can find information on how to export these kinds of objects to Teamcenter.

In addition to the above questions, I would also like to know how to import data from the Teamcenter database from within Plant Simulation. I assume the "Application Interface" and "Sync" are related to this as they decide what kind of file/dataset from Teamcenter is to be imported and how it is done via the stylesheet chosen in the "Style sheet" field.

If anyone has any idea or can point me to a document explaining how the Teamcenter object works and how it interacts with Teamcenter, I would be very thankful.

Maybe worth noting is that the "Teamcenter" menu in my Plant Simulation (File -> Teamcenter) has all the options inside it grayed out. Maybe the integration isn't successful yet?

Thank you.

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Plant Simulation + Teamcenter integration

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hi,

You have to make some data available in Teamcenter first, before you see anything meaningful in Plant.

Normally you will have a Collaboration Context containing at least a Bill of Process and Product data. For this CC you create an application interface. The default type for it in TC is "PSI2PlantSimulation_AI". You do not need to fill it in on the Import tab.

In my experience, the Plant Simuation side works quite well. I would look for the standard data first and see how it fits your purpose. There is a strong dependency on the data model of TC, not every type of BOP contains the same information!

Gert Nomden
Digital Factory Consultant
cardsplmsolutions.com

Solution Partner Legend

Thank you for your help.

What would be the easiest way to transfer, for example, a TableFile of data to Teamcenter? What would be the easiest way to read this from Teamcenter back into Plant Simulation?

Solution Partner Phenom

Hi,

As far as I know the current situation is for SPP-files (through the main menu) and HTML-files (through the Teamcenter interface) only. The current intended workflow is that Teamcenter provides all the necessary information, which is only analysed and reported back with Plant Simulation.

It really depends on the kind of information that you would want to exchange. Technically you are not really limited to any file-type by Teamcenter, but usually this requires configuration work. If you go with an existing option, I would probably use Excel-files.

Gert Nomden
cardsplmsolutions.com

Solution Partner Legend

Hello Gert,

Thank you for your answer. I guess it is a reasonably acceptable solution you are suggesting. I assume you mean that, if we take a TableFile with data as an example, we export this TableFile to an Excel file via Plant Simulation, and upload this Excel file to Teamcenter? From what you have said I also assume that there is no "automatic" way to upload this exported Excel file to Teamcenter, kind of like the File -> Teamcenter -> Add to Teamcenter/Check in/Check out options? This "automatic" way through "File -> Teamcenter..." only works with SPP files, unless I want to delve into Teamcenter configuration to handle this?

Edit: I guess the feature I am looking for which would be comfortable to have is File -> Teamcenter -> Upload Dataset.. which lets me choose for ex. a TableFile and converts it to Excel, and automatically logs in + uploads it to Teamcenter. As of now I guess the solution you suggested requires manually logging in to Teamcenter through the rich client and manually adding a dataset of Excel type and uploading the exported Excel file.

Solution Partner Phenom

From what you described so far: yes. If you only need the results, without subtables, you could paste into the HTMLReport. To allow others to do something with the information, stick to Excel.

But I think the possibility to upload tables in some form would a sensible extension of the interface!

Gert Nomden
cardsplmsolutions.com

Solution Partner Legend

Just to clarify before I mark this thread as solved, what do you mean with the quote below?

@Nomden wrote:

[...] The current intended workflow is that Teamcenter provides all the necessary information, which is only analysed and reported back with Plant Simulation. [...]

Do you mean that Teamcenter contains all necessary files for simulation purposes, for ex. SPP-files, Excel-sheets etc. that Plant Simulation can interface with via the Teamcenter object? So the purpose is to import data from Teamcenter into Plant Simulation using the Teamcenter-object, run a simulation, and output a HTML file to Teamcenter with the results?

Correct me if I did not understand you correctly Smiley Happy

Solution Partner Phenom

Almost correct!

Currently you can use the "automatic" way for 3 types of data; SPP-files, HTML-reports, and structure data (PLMXML, plus JT-files). This is what currently falls under "all necessary files". I have no experience with changing the export from Teamcenter to include Excel-files. So, these files need to be done manually.

Gert Nomden
cardsplmsolutions.com

Solution Partner Legend

Okay great, thank you for your reply.

I am wondering however if there is an import option for HTML-reports from Teamcenter, since there is an Export option of HTML-reports to Teamcenter?

An example: Let's say my goal is to make it as "automatic" as possible, so I decide to save my information in a HTML-report object in PS. This HTML-report is then exported to Teamcenter via the Teamcenter-object in PS. Later, I want to import this HTML-object from Teamcenter to PS, change it, and re-upload it. My assumption is to use the "import" tab, but I am again missing the correct "Application Interface" and "Sync" choices. Logging in to the server just gives me an empty window with no choices (see attached screenshot).

Bottom line: I can export HTML-reports to Teamcenter, but how do I import them from TC to PS? Since the data can only be read to a TableFile upon import using the TC-object, I guess I am missing something vital to convert the data from within a HTML report to a TableFile... In this case the Excel-option would be easier but would require more research in how to export.

Teamcenter comes with a transfer mode called "ConfiguredDataFilesExportDefault" which works nicely in exporting the excel file from Teamcenter to the local machine, but this still involves manually navigating the Teamcenter menus and choosing Export -> PLMXML etc... Very cumbersome if it is to be used often.

Is there any documentation regarding "Application Interface" and "Sync" and how to use them?

Solution Partner Phenom

Sorry, your question goes beyond my current knowledge. I did fire up my Teamcenter environment and after inspection I expect that it is relatively easy to make changes the import/export mechanism.

It is not totally clear to me what situation you have in mind, so I cannot assess your ideas in a critical way. I do not really know why you would give the HTML-file such a central role, because Teamcenter mainly exports structures. Plant Simulation is not really intended to edit informaiton in Teamcenter.

Anyway, the changes need to be made by a Teamcenter expert on the server configuration. But I am not sure if adding other file types to the export (TC>PS) are properly picked-up by Plant Simulation.

Gert Nomden
cardsplmsolutions.com