Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plantsimulation preferred 3D format ?

Builder
Builder

Hi all,

If I have the opportunity to save my file as .jt and .wrl, which one should I choose ?

Is there a difference importing the one or another ? (in terms of performances, ease of optimizing...)

Best regards !

6 REPLIES

Re: Plantsimulation preferred 3D format ?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Flo_M,

VRML (.wrl) is a very old format, which is no longer used very often.

JT is the native format for the 3D engine in Plant Simulation and it is an ISO standard.

So when you have the choice I'd strongly recommend to use JT.

Regards,

Ralf
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution.

Builder
Builder

So, if it's the Plant native 3D format, it is the best choice i guess... Did you benchmark the performances with the same file but different imported formats in plant ?

If I have the opportunity to save a .wrl file into .jt before importing it, is it a good idea ? Is there a difference or Plantsimulation do the same process while importing a wrl file?

Siemens Phenom

When importing a VRML file it is first converted to a JT file.

So at the end you always have JT format.

But of course the application which creates the file might apply different optimizations when creating the file. So it's worth a try.

Regards,

Ralf
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Builder
Builder

Ho ok, thanks for the information.

So indeed, if the jt converter is optimizing the jt file, it is a good idea. If not, it's not a very interresting operation.

Considering what you've said on this subject, if I have a cad or cgr file, it's highly recommanded to save it as jt file rather than wrl in order to import it in plant ?

I ask you these information because I have a big 3D model, with animation issues (very slow movements of everything...), and I have imported everything in wrl from cad part and cgr files... Even with the optimizing tool of plantsim, I keep this issues (but it helped a lot).

I asked myself if importing these cad part and cgr file into jt directly will help or not ?

Siemens Phenom

Unfortunately there is no clear answer here. In principle it should not make any difference but it might be worth to give it a try.

Regards,

Ralf

Builder
Builder

OK. Thanks Ralf Smiley Happy