Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show Shadows bug with V13

Legend
Legend

Hello everyone, 

I've just set up the V13 few days ago. I created a 3D model with some lines, 3D Store ... 
When I activate Show Shadows, my whole 3D model disapeared ! 

I can't understand why ? 

Thank you very much. 

Best regards

O.C

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Show Shadows bug with V13

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Can you explain what you mean by "the whole model disappears"?

There are quite some interpretations of what that could mean.

Maybe a screenshot of the state before and after switching on shadows could clarify that a bit.

Out of the blue, there are some rules of thumb when it comes to strange visual effects in 3D graphics:

1. The less related to your model such an effect seems to be, the more likely it is (again: this is only a rule of thumb!) that your graphics adapter or driver is involved.
  2. When you suspect one of those two to be involved, you can either try to actualize your graphics driver - which surprisingly often solves the problem (the surprise is not so much in the solving but in the occurrence of the problem in the first place) - or to modify the OpenGL version in the Plant Simulation preferences. By default, the version is 3.1 which on most computers is old enough to be supported properly and new enough to be reasonably performant.
    In most cases, you can say that the more back you go with that version, the more likely it is that visualization problems disappear. Unfortunately, on some machines, I experienced the exact opposite.
  3. Generally, we recommend to avoid on-board graphics or virtual machines when it comes to 3D visualization (when possible, of course!).

I hope, at least some of what I wrote was helpful.

Have a nice day!

Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution

Legend
Legend

Thank you Peter for your generous help ! 

The picture below explains my issue. On the left side we can see the 3D model without shadows and when I activated the shadows everything disapears (Grid, objects ...) my frame looks like the right side of the picture.  

For the OpenGL version I'm on 3.0 (Frame Buffer Objects). 
That's weird because I never had this problem with the previous versions (12.0,12.2) . 

I'll have a look on NVIDIA configuration ! 

Thank you

Sans titre.jpg

Siemens Phenom

Was there a particular problem (other than the current one with the shadows) that you changed the OpenGL version to 3.0? (I know of cases where that particular version created some problems.)

If that is not the case, could your change it to 3.1 and try shadows again?

Siemens Phenom

By the way: you can display some informations, e.g. about your graphics adapter and driver if you press the button "F" while your active window is a 3D window.

On the bottom there will be a line with some indicators about your visualization:

FPS (frames per second - this will update quite often, e.g. whenever you change the camera in your scene

Nodes: The number of nodes in your scene (If this value is high (e.g., several hundreds of thousands), it indicates a probably bad performance on most computers)

Polygons: The number of polygons in your scene (If this value is high (e.g. several millions), it indicates a possibly bad performance with old graphics adapters)

RAM: A rough estimate of the RAM used for this scene

... and finally the maximally possible OpenGL version your graphics driver claims to support (this value, however, is known to be incorrect in some cases where an obviously incapable graphics adapter claimed to be a magnificent piece of modern technology just before it greatly failed to proof that),
the graphics adapter manufacturer and the currently active driver version.

If there is no line at all, you probably have an AMD card with an older driver or an on-board graphics adapter.

Highlighted

Legend
Legend

Sans titre.jpg

The last OpenGL version I have is 3.0

Perhaps in NVIDIA configuration I should enforce Plant Simulation 13 using the "High Graphic Performances".

Thank you Peter.  

Siemens Phenom

In that case I would definitely recommend updating the graphics driver.

Note that Windows is pretty reluctant in showing your the latest driver so (if you have the possibility) I suggest you go to the NVIDIA site and look for a current and suitable driver there - the difference might be several years of driver development.

Legend
Legend
I'm trying to update the graphics driver.
I'll keep you in touch when I'm done ! Smiley Happy

Thank you Peter

Legend
Legend

You were right Peter, the driver was too old. 

It works very well now ! Smiley Happy 

Thank you so much. 

BR 
OC

Capture.JPG