Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Simple - conveyor belt

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi everybody.

I need to simulate a conveyor belt and i'm thinking of using a single buffer (Source, Buffer, Drain) to represent the process.

A piece is produced every 2 seconds, and they take up to 20 segs to reach the end of the belt.

Since the belt can hold up to 4 pieces, at time = 2 seconds, the first piece would enter the belt, and at time = 22s the first piece would abandon the belt and there would be already other three pieces coming up in line (for instance, piece #2 would only take 2 more seconds to leave the belt, in other words, at t= 24 the second element would go to the drain).

When I use the buffer, and I assing a "dwell time", the time for the second element to leave the band starts counting once the first element left.

How can I arrange that the time that it takes for the peice to reach the end start counting once the piece enters the band, instead of "once the previous piece leaves the band"?

Any ideas on how to proceed, please?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Simple - conveyor belt

Experimenter
Experimenter
I could use some help for a kind of similar task.

I think using a buffer is simple enough but I just dont get how could I set the time you need to set.

Phenom
Phenom

Why are you not  using a conveyor object  ?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I see 2 possible solutions:

1) use a line object with a length that is 4 times the MULength. That would be the simplest solution, which achieves exactly what you require. Set the time on the line to be 20 seconds, this will automatically set the speed to reflect that time.

2) Simply use a Parallelproc with ProcTime = 20 seconds after a SingleProc with ProcTime = 5 seconds, since this scenario means your line is a bottleneck. If only 4 pieces can fit on the conveyor and it takes 20 seconds for a piece to leave the conveyor, this means a piece will only leave the conveyor every 5 seconds. You might want to consider getting a faster conveyor or getting 3 different conveyors.

Kind regards,

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thanks, just what I needed