Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulating an ATO system that serves demand for the end product and components

Creator
Creator

Deal Plant Simulation forum,

First off I would like to stress that I believe this forum is very helpful and up till now a lot of things have become clear to me.

Currently I would like to build a simulation model for my thesis. Whereby an ATO system has an inventory with 2 components (C1 and C2). Customers orders are allowed for the end product and for the individual components (C1 and C2). I use two sources for the supply of the components that are stocked in seperate buffers. And my idea was to model three drains that each represent the demand for the end product (C1 + C2) and the component C1 and component C2.

The issue that I am having is that I am not able to figure out how and where a Pull control extract the parts from the buffers for each type of demand from the customer.

I am sure that I am missing a dozen of other things. However, I hope that some of you are willing to help me out with this matter or could provide me with an example.

Thanks in advance!

YSB

p.s. Please find below the lay-out of my model. This is just a global idea and I still have to work out the details.

image.png

5 REPLIES

Re: Simulating an ATO system that serves demand for the end product and components

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello,

you can consider adding Kanban objects in your model to achieve the pull behavior you described. For that you can have a look into the "Small Examples" collection found in "Example Models" in the main menu. Here you can search for "Kanban" to find a couple of example models implementing Kanban systems.

Kind regards,

Igor
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution

Re: Simulating an ATO system that serves demand for the end product and components

Hi YBS,

for more complex cases you definitely should consider using the Kanban objects or do some programming but I gave it a try to do it without programming. The idea is, that the real parts are "assembled" with order parts coming from the OrderSource. It seems to work (at least as long as the orders come in with a interval > 0).

Regards

Andreas

ATO.PNG

Creator
Creator

Hi IgorKunjavskij,

Thank you for your reply. 

My goal is to test a replenishment policy and an allocation policy from the components buffer. And with the results I would like to see which policies will yield the lowest costs (holding-, backorder-, and lost sales costs).

I have looked into the kanban system and were able to create the following model (see attached file). However the parts do not seem to be transferred towards the corresponding demands. Could you, or somebody else, take a look and help me further?

Thanks in advance!

YSB

Creator
Creator

Thanks for your reply Andres_SimPlan,

This model provides a lot of not thought of insights. Thanks for that.

As described above I would like to apply a replenishment policy and an allocation policy on the buffers in order to determine the avg. costs. 

It looks like using your model with a bit of adjustments (programming) could suffice. Or would you recommend me to use the Kanban system?

Thanks in advance!

YSB

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello,

attached you can find a model resembling the one you have posted here. The issue was that your Buffer after the Assembly does not have any parts listed to pull in. Kanban objects need to pull parts which are somewhere listed in another Kanban object. This is not given by your Assembly before the Buffer. So you need to rearrange your model somewhat in a way similar to the attached model, so that you have next to the Kanban objects also controls implemented which take care of the Assembly behaving similar to a Kanban object.

Kind regards,

Igor
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution