Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strengths of 3D vs. 2D simulation

Creator
Creator

Hi guys Smiley Happy

I would like to ask you what are strengths of 3D simulation in comparison to 2D simulation ?

Sure you can optimaze a simulated system, you can save a lot costs etc. But I think you can not get more added value, more optimazitation from 3D simulation in comparison to 2D. And also it takes much more time to create a simulation model in 3D than in 2D.

I just wonder what you guys think about this. Of course it looks nice and stuff Smiley Happy

Thanks

5 REPLIES

Re: Strengths of 3D vs. 2D simulation

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi BuLu,

I think 3D has advantages when the dimension and placement of your machine play an important role in your simulation model. E.g. when you evaluate certain layout alternatives.

Also when you want to discuss your model with people who are not familiar with discrete event simulation.

They get a much better understanding of what they see if they have a 3D model in front of them, instead of the logical 2D model.

Regards,

Ralf
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution.

Creator
Creator

Thank you for the answer Ralf

Yes this is exactly what I was think about. But I still think when you have to create a complex model of the production line under the time presure so with 3D it would take a too much effort. Don't you think ?

Regards

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If you want to have a realistic looking 3D model I completely agree with you. But if you use the standard 3D objects I think in newer versions of Plant Simulation there is not much difference. And you never know to whom you might have to present the model.

Regards,

Ralf
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution.

Creator
Creator

Yeah you right Smiley Happy With standard 3D object of Plant it is the same.

I probably forgot to mention that I was thinking about the extern 3D models of machines, which you first scan and than model it up and than import to the Plant Smiley Happy

Thanks again for your opinion on this topic Smiley Happy

Regards

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

In my experience there are important advantages of 3D. For most people it is easy to relate to a 3D model, sometimes 2D layouts are too abstract. Using the 3D model reduces the need to "translate" their own 3D model of the real world to the simulation model. It also helps to see and verify actual dimensions, which I have found more difficult inb 2D. In cases with vertical movements, such as warehouses or models with cranes, 3D is a must for the validation of the model!

Of course, there are cases where you rather want to use a more abstracted version of the real world. Geographical maps are an excellent example of abstracted models of the real world, that show specific meaningful information.

With the latest versions, setting up a 3D model does not take more time than a 2D model. In the latter you also need to define icons and animation paths, so if you model a production line why not do it in 3D right away?

The developers have done a great job in combining these two views. Some cases are best done with 3D, others with 2D, but mostly a combination: you simply get the choice what fits your case the best.

Gert Nomden
Senior Consultant | Tecnomatix Product Manager
cardsplmsolutions.com