Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Questions about 3D View

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Hello, I have two questions regarding the 3D view functionality. I am using Plant Simulation V14.0.2.1258

Q1: Objects within descending (nested) frames are somehow colliding with operators in ascending frames when the operators move freely. Is this intended behavior? It may just be me but it doesn't seem to be functioning as expected when the nested frame representation is set to "Icon" which is what I am testing with.

Q2: How do I show object names for all objects by default in the 3D View? Right clicking in the 3D View and choosing to show all object names and labels does nothing. Instead I have to, for each object, right click -> 3D properties -> Captions tab -> Check "Show object name/label" -> Click OK. This is cumbersome if I want to switch on all object names/labels once I've built my model and toggle them if I have a lot of objects in my model. Maybe I've missed a global model setting somewhere?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES

Re: Two Questions about 3D View

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

About question 1:

What you saw is actually intended. Generally, there is one single route network for a simulation frame (meaning: for a frame with an event controller). Therefore, this frame has to collect all data necessary to calculate said network. The application we had in mind when dealing with the issue of hidden frame content (which, I assume, is what you meant by setting the frame representation to "Icon") was hiding an entire frame with a building graphic - which then of course has fitting dimensions and will not generate a problem. In principle, you can say that a worker moving freely requires overall physically correct measurements (at least roughly).

Side note: If you refer to the 2D representation dialog of the frame - this dialog has no impact in 3D whatsoever. 2D and 3D outside representation do not need to correlate.

About question 2: You can do this on a per-class basis, but not (interactively) with one step for all objects in the entire model. We found that a model gets overly confusing with too many names switched visible so we only fitted the (in our view) important objects automatically with names - such as methods or table files: objects which you often have the need to address using their name.

Now, to do this on a per-class basis (which should be considerably faster than doing this object-wise), go to the classes for which you want to switch on the names/labels in the class library (or alternatively in a 3D window showing the folder that contais them), and either open the properties dialog of the respective classes and switch on the names/labels there or open the attributes and methods dialog and switch on _3D.NameLabelEnabled there (you can toggle the value of a boolean by double-clicking it in this dialog).

Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the answers, very helpful to know!

Regarding Q1 - yes I meant the 3D frame representation set to "Icon" (not 2D). How does this work if we have objects inside the nested frame which are not related to the layout of the ascending (root) frame? Do we need to manually turn off obstacles for these objects in the nested frame so the don't interfere with the workers walking in the ascending (root) frame?

See the attached picture for my problem (i think you understand it anyway based on your answer - green rectangles are objects in nested frames which show up as obstacles in the ascending frame in view). My point is that it's difficult to group objects into nested frames while using "Workers move freely" since unrelated objects will interfere with the workers despite them not actually being in the same namespace.

Thank you!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If said frame consists entirely of objects that are of no concern for the worker (if it is a logical frame, e.g.), the easiest (and most performant) way to do this would be to switch off obstacle for the entire frame as a whole.

Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution