Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Plant Sim to control and coordinate production (Gantt?)

Experimenter
Experimenter

Plant Sim has proved to be a very effective planning tool, but I want to take it a step further and use it for the control and coordination of production. It seems a shame not to use all of the masses of data that it holds.

I appreciate that there is the Gantt Wizard, but this appears to create a .pdf Gantt Chart which I can neither format nor manipulate.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience?

(For info - our production line is mostly human workers, hence the need to control and coordinate).

Thanks in anticipation.

3 REPLIES

Re: Using Plant Sim to control and coordinate production (Gantt?)

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Juliannash,

I am having similalr thoughts. I believe just building a model is not enough. There needs to be some good data to show where the layout is failing. Have you found anything? If so can you share the idea ?

Regards,

Dory

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Dory, unfortunately, I got nowhere with this one. I attended the Global Plant Simulation conference in Stuttgart a few years ago and asked some of the experts, and I reached a dead end.

In the end I used Microsoft Project and Excel to create my own plans.

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hello Dory,

Since Plant Simulation 14.1, the Gantt Chart object has improved quite a bit in functionality. It is way easier to create Gantt charts for production lines & resources compared to previous versions. Hovering over areas shows you a tooltip on which part has been processed, and a small bar below shows that state of the resource that is used. Even zooming in and out is possible using CTRL-Scrollwheel.

2019-01-02 14_09_52-.Models.Model.GanttChart.png

Using the object's method  'getData' you're able to extract a table that contains for each element of the table, how long items are on a resource. After manipulation i'm quite certain that you could use this information in other tools, if necessary. And using 'setData' you can even change this table to manipulate it further to your wishes.

What is your use case?

Nick Peeters
Simulation Consultant
www.cardsplmsolutions.com