Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Using a parallel process only when full

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I am trying to model a burn-in test using Plant Simulate. The test bays are multiplexed in groups of three and as such will only be operated when all three are populated. This is represented by a 3 x 1 ParellelProc with a processing time of 6 hours. A manual set-up SingleProc with a single operator precedes this. However, what is happening is that the first drive is being sent to the ParallelProc and begun processing as soon as its set-up is complete, even while the second drive is being set up by the operator; I seem unable to produce the desired behaviour of loading all three drives at once and beginning processing simultaneously.

I have attempted using buffers with a capacity of 3 and methods that only pass the contents on when the buffer is full, but these cause errors when both the buffer and the ParallelProc are full (I can only assume it loops forever trying to load another entity into an already full station). Is there a way of preventing ParallelProcs from accepting new entities until there are enough in the preceding station to fill it to capacity, preferably without using methods?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Using a parallel process only when full

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hello @metiib 

I hope i've understood your problem, you could try an approach using a Assembly connected in a Dismantle object, please see the attached file. The Assembly will wait for the parts automatically, so, no methods are needed.

AssemblyDismatleExample.PNG

By the way, there are other ways to solve this, including methods. Smiley Happy

Good lucky!

Best Regards,
Paulo Araujo

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Here is another solution using some lines of SimTalk!

Regards,

Ralf
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Fantastic! Thank you very much for that example model: very helpful for showing me what was going wrong.