Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using fluids simulating a brewery

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

I'm currently doing an internship at Gulpener Brewery in the Netherlands. A part of my internship is about simulating the brew house. I'm a beginner in working with PlantSim and I just started working with SimTalk. 

The brewing process starts with 3 barley silo's. All the 3 silo's contain differtent types of barley. I want to start simulating 1 sort of beer, at the end I want the simulate more beer. The first beer starts with barley from SILO1 and SILO 2 , SILO 3 is not used this time. Barley gets trasported from SILO1 and SILO2 to another SILO, called the day silo (a silo that contains a specific mix of barley for a beer). 

Vraag1.PNG

Is it possible to put two fluid flows in one silo? I get an error when I want to run the simulation... Maybe I need to adjust a mixer to make it work like a tank?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Paul Simonis

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Using fluids simulating a brewery

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hi Paul,

Since you make a pre-mix of barley, you need to use a Mixer object for that. A Tank object can only contain a single material at a time. Use a MaterialsTable to specify which ratios of barley types you need, e.g.  1kg PreMix1 is made from 0.8 kg Pilsner Malt and 0.2 kg Wheat Malt. After that you need another Mixer object for the mashing; here too you need an entry in the recipes, e.g. 1 kg Mash1 is made of 0.2 kg PreMix1 and 0.8 kg Water.

Whatever Product you define for the Mixer, it will try to take the ingredients from its preceding objects. If you did not define ingredients for it, the Mixer just processes the fluid.

Gert Nomden
Digital Factory Consultant
cardsplmsolutions.com

Pioneer
Pioneer

Dear Gert,

Thanks for your answer, the mixer works indeed. I currently have three another questions, maybe you can answer them:

- I converted the kg barley to liters barley, because the outflow of the tanks is also in liters. I went the to laboratory and they calculated the density for me. Is it smart to do this or is it better to use kg?

- The barley silo's can contain 60 tons of barley each. New barley is deliverd when the silo contains between 15 and 20 tons of barley. So a new batch of barley (one truck with barley is 26 tons of barley) has to come from the source when the barley level in SILO1,2,3 is under 20 tons. How can I simulate that? 

- Just a general question, now I'm simulation a pilsner that only uses barley from 2 silo's. The next step is simulation another beer type that uses barley from 3 silo's. How do I start making a method so every beer gets another amount of barley and another brewing time? Using the material table or making a formula in SimTalk?

Thank you very much for your help Gert!

Paul Simonis

Solution Partner Phenom

Hi Paul,

You should be able to use mass and volume at the same time. Note that the recipe table does not force you to be consistent, e.g. you can have 1 kg of ProductA, made of 2 kg MaterialB and 3 kg of MaterialC. Personally, I would try use the units that are in the IT systems of the company.

For the refill there are several options. Actually, the simplest is probably to set a ShiftCalendar for the respective FluidSource, and make it occasionally active. But this a periodic strategy, not based on re-order point, I know. With some SimTalk, you can implement a sensor control in the tank, and open the FluidSource to create some material for some time. Alternatively, you could use a Deportioner and move an MU containing your 26 tonnes of barley to it.

Basically, you just need to change the Product of the Mixer when it has reached the Ready status. Look at the example on the start page of Plant Simulation: Continuous material flow>Free-flowing materials>Chocolate Production.

Gert Nomden
cardsplmsolutions.com

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello Gert,

Thanks for your answer!

I try to use the units the company uses, but the outflow of a tank is in l/s so I do need to transfer them?

I'll write a SimTalk code for the sensor, that will work. 

What I meant in the last question is that every beer has its own process times and volumes. The brewery produces 15 beers, all with their own volume/production time/recipe. They produce three batches from every beer and when they are finished they start producting another three batches from another beer. Is it possible to set up a week production with about 5 sorts of beer, every beer with its own charasteristics? When I setup a processing time for a mixer, it's only for a specific beer but I want to use different processing times for different beers...

Thank you in advance, sorry for all the questions but I really am a beginner. I did the tutorial and read a book but that did not cover everything I wanted to know. 

Greetings,

Paul

Solution Partner Phenom

Paul,

If the densities are correct, then using either volume or mass should not matter. The requested figures will be calculated by the software.

The example that I mentioned shows how to do it. When the Mixer reaches Ready=true, then you can change the Product, ProductAmount, ProcTime, etc. In the example, look at MixerFinal, Tools>Edit observers. You can copy and adapt the code to you needs.

I would suggest to make a 2-beer variant first. Later on you can put in the batch sequence.

Gert Nomden
cardsplmsolutions.com