Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my whole processor cores

Legend
Legend

Hello everyone,

It's a very simple question. 

I'd like to make my model faster by using my 8 process cores. It is possible to make this happen or I'm dreaming ? 

Capture.JPG

Thank you very much.
BR
OC

13 REPLIES

Re: Using my whole processor cores

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello OC,

one simulation run can only make use of one CPU core.

But if you use the Experiment Manager you can use distributed simulation to start as many simulation  runs in parallel as it makes sense for your hardware.

Regards,

Ralf
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hello.

Your dreaming. There has been a few recent discussions and the basic result from them is that to help to keep the events triggering in the correct order to run your model properly it is programed through 1 thread only meaning only 1 core is in use. If it could use more threads then it could use more cores but would then start to run into issues with running correctly.

JamesM

Legend
Legend

I was pretty sure that it makes no sense to use different cores for the same model but I wanted to
have your opinion.

Thank you very much ! 

BR
OC 

Legend
Legend

Hi Ralf,

is it complex setting-up the experiment manager for distributed simulation?

Could you explain how to run several experiments on the same machine using multiple cores?

Regards
Alessio

Siemens Phenom

Hi Alessio,

It's very easy to use the Experiment Manager.

Just load the Small Parts Production example model and have a look at the experiment manager named PalletOptimization in frame .Models.Assembly1.

When you select 'Use distributed simulation' the experiment manager automtically starts as many simulation runs in parallel as you have CPU cores.

(This can be configured in Tools->Advanced Settings.)

Regards,

Ralf
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legend
Legend
I thought distributed simulation was only for using different computers.
Basically I need to go in advanced settings --> tab "Distribution" --> click on "insert" --> type "localhost" and set the number of parallel process as the number of my cores, am I right?

Siemens Phenom

You also can just select the 'Use distributed simulation' checkbox in the main dialog.

Then the experiment manager automatically uses a number of parallel simulation runs which matches the number of CPU cores.

Regards,

Ralf

Legend
Legend
I tried with both procedures, but it seems my pc is stuck. The experiment manager starts to run experiment, but I can't see anything running e the experiment never ends.

P.s. I just inserted a singleproc and set the attribute end of the event controller at 10:00:00:00. I have two cores and the number of observation is 3.

Siemens Phenom

Just try the example model 'Small Parts Production'.

Turn on the distributed simulation for the experiment manager PalletOptimization in .Models.Assembly1.

To speed up the experiment run decrease the numbers of observation to 3.

Regards,

Ralf